Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-26-2006, 09:42 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Wanting to start a salt water tank

Hi Everyone..havent been on here for awhile..missed all the great advice you have given me in the past...And giving advice...

This is my question..I have 2 options to start a saltwater reef. One if for a 29g aquarium with an eclipse filter system or go with a 56 g cube and stand..of course the 29g is more economical but I am thinking that I should take the plunge as would be much happier with the 56 g....would a rena 3 filter be sufficient as a filter..I was thinking of going with 50 lbs of the live rock. I am thinking that I need a powerhead also. A protein skimmer is something I can purchase in time. What kind of a lighting system would you guys suggest so that I am able to house some soft corals, maybe an anenome (I sense apprehension here) and of course some neat critters like shrimp, hermit crabs, sea urchins, starfish...all the stuff that makes a tank come alive....for fish I have to have percula clowns, I would love to have a yellow tang but dont know if that is feasible, and any suggestions that you guys have that would be good for beginners...I am a total newbie in this aspect and am finding it a little overwhelming to say the least....freshwater I have down to a science but this is total different world to say the least...my discus flourish but I am scared I would kill live rock

So anyone out there that is willing to help out I would so much appreciate any advice you can give..

Sincerely
Lost somewhere in a reef....

Old 11-26-2006, 10:43 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to tecwzrd
The stock list sticky post covers what you need.

What is the size of the 56 gal? (W/H/D) Being a cube I'd say that the tang is out. Yellow tangs do ok in 55 gal 4 foot long tanks but anything shorter won't give it enough swimming room.

A pair of clowns would be fine in either tank. There are plenty of other small fish to choose from as well.

Skimmer can be gotten later but is well worth the money so I'd put that before nice lights for corals personally since you should hold off on corals for 6+ months anyways.

If you haven't figured it out yet I like to BOLD links :P

Vote for AA at Aqua Rank
tecwzrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 01:44 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks

That is a great link for info....
Old 11-27-2006, 06:49 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via Yahoo to stevefromga2000
it does depend a lot on how deep the 56 gallon is as well. as soon as you post the full dimensions, everybody will be able to help a lot more. the problem is, as far as i know, that if the tank is too deep, then getting light down to the bottom will be a large hassle. lighting problems are going to be a major issue for you anyways considering that you want an anenome and corals, which both require good lighting. good luck with your decision and feel free to ask for any help with your new saltwater tank.

Tags
salt, salt water, salt water tank, start, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com