Wanting to start a salt water tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquarium Freak

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi Everyone..havent been on here for awhile..missed all the great advice you have given me in the past...And giving advice...

This is my question..I have 2 options to start a saltwater reef. One if for a 29g aquarium with an eclipse filter system or go with a 56 g cube and stand..of course the 29g is more economical but I am thinking that I should take the plunge as would be much happier with the 56 g....would a rena 3 filter be sufficient as a filter..I was thinking of going with 50 lbs of the live rock. I am thinking that I need a powerhead also. A protein skimmer is something I can purchase in time. What kind of a lighting system would you guys suggest so that I am able to house some soft corals, maybe an anenome (I sense apprehension here) and of course some neat critters like shrimp, hermit crabs, sea urchins, starfish...all the stuff that makes a tank come alive....for fish I have to have percula clowns, I would love to have a yellow tang but dont know if that is feasible, and any suggestions that you guys have that would be good for beginners...I am a total newbie in this aspect and am finding it a little overwhelming to say the least....freshwater I have down to a science but this is total different world to say the least...my discus flourish but I am scared I would kill live rock :oops:

So anyone out there that is willing to help out I would so much appreciate any advice you can give..

Sincerely
Lost somewhere in a reef.... :D

The stock list sticky post covers what you need.

What is the size of the 56 gal? (W/H/D) Being a cube I'd say that the tang is out. Yellow tangs do ok in 55 gal 4 foot long tanks but anything shorter won't give it enough swimming room.

A pair of clowns would be fine in either tank. There are plenty of other small fish to choose from as well.

Skimmer can be gotten later but is well worth the money so I'd put that before nice lights for corals personally since you should hold off on corals for 6+ months anyways.

it does depend a lot on how deep the 56 gallon is as well. as soon as you post the full dimensions, everybody will be able to help a lot more. the problem is, as far as i know, that if the tank is too deep, then getting light down to the bottom will be a large hassle. lighting problems are going to be a major issue for you anyways considering that you want an anenome and corals, which both require good lighting. good luck with your decision and feel free to ask for any help with your new saltwater tank.

Back
Top Bottom