Wanting to start a saltwater aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

deckaman225

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey I'm really wanting to get a SW tank goin have no experience I have a 29 gallon regular glass tank can I do it with that??

Hey I just got started myself.. as a matter of fact I just filled my tank yesterday and waiting on it to cycle. The information is a lot to take in but these guys know what they are talking about. One thing I have grasped so far is the theory there is more than one way to do things in this hobby. So far I have really enjoyed this community and they members here are always very forthcoming with great information,

Yes a 29 is not a bad size to start! I would plan to keep coral as well as fish, so get equipment for both!

Ok so wat will I need to get started how big of a filter and all that??

What all equipment do I need don't know nothing about this lol I read SW about skimmers and all that and cycling the tank I don't know wat that is??

I know I'm defiantly gonna get an RO water filtration system!!

Yes a 29 is not a bad size to start! I would plan to keep coral as well as fish, so get equipment for both!

+1. Everyone wants coral eventually so plan for it from the start. The 2 things that go into every successful reef is patience and research. You'll need ro/di water, flow, and some sort of filtration (hob skimmer or hob filters work fine for nano tanks) and of course lighting ( eBay taotronics dimmable are about the best value out there)

Edit : the larger aqua clears (70-110) are great hob filters and you can even find heaters that will fit in the 110

Wat is nano tank is that just under a certain gallon or somthing

Also is a hob filter the brand or a type of filter?? Thx so much for it help everyone really appreciate it :)

Ok awesome thanks so after I get my filter lighting water and somthing to
Make flow in the water I put my sand and water in do u wait to put live rock in till u make sure everything is running good ??

No put the rock in at the same time. I highly recommend rock before sand, it makes for a more stable scape. I usually fill up the tank, put in my rock and set my basic scape ( can be tweaked later), then add my sand ( funnel and PVC pipe = no mess). For flow I think 2 korillia nano 425 power heads should be perfect

Invest in a refractometer instead of a hydrometer as well and plan for 1 lb to 1 and a Half lbs per gallon of live rock.

I started my first sw tank with a 29g regular ole tank and it did really really well. I think that is the perfect size to start with.
The most important things have been mentioned already, but here's a small recap.
Hang on back filter- I used an aquaclear 50, but a 70 will be fine too
2 powerheads, the koralia 425's are a good choice
a good light. As mentioned, the ebay led panels are a great light, they will grow anything and are about $110
Refractometer to test the salt level, or sailinity (much more accurate and about $25)
I'd guess about 25020lbs of sand. Doesnt have to be the expensive "live" sand either
About 1 to 1.5 or even 2.0 lbs of rock per gallon. Doesnt have to be live rock, dead "base" rock is fine. So if you get 35 lbs of base rock, you can get say 5lbs of the expensive live rock and it will move the cycle a little faster
Thermometer- lol small, but important
and either get your ro/di water from your fish store or invest in a unit. They start at about $100 or so or pay the 50 cents average at your fish store for each gallon
You can start with regular instant ocean salt or with the reef crystals, whichever you prefer until you have corals, then the reef crystals are the way to go as it has extra elements that corals will need to do well

I think I summarized what the others said, lol, but this is a basic list.

And for that size tank, you really dont "need" a protein skimmer, as long as you do your water changes. :)

Thx Carey that is a good summary but I'm kinda goin back and forth with thinking mane I should just start with biocube 14 because it comes with all the lighting and filter and is only about 200$ wat is ur opinion on this??

Back
Top Bottom