Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-12-2011, 12:39 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Wanting to start a SW tank

This is an informative site. Im planning to set up a salt water aquarium. Isnt it hard to maintain a salt water aquarium? I already had a fresh water aquarium.

Old 10-12-2011, 01:45 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcsites View Post
This is an informative site. Im planning to set up a salt water aquarium. Isnt it hard to maintain a salt water aquarium? I already had a fresh water aquarium.
Well, I don't think it's as easy as a freshwater system, but definitely more rewarding and interactive. And it all depends on the size tank you have...my biocube 14 gallon takes way more time and effort than my 40 gallon

Personally, I think keeping cats is more difficult lol. It's definitely fun to watch the tanks grow, especially if you go reef; but can get a little pricey. Lots of things to consider. Good luck

30g FOWLR Tank
8g Mantis Shrimp Tank
all4wheels2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 02:45 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to kurtyboh Send a message via Skype™ to kurtyboh
the biggest question is what is the end result you want from your sw tank? full reef, fish only with live rock? what types of fish? do you plan on having other inverts such as clams or anemones? certain things require more/higher quality equipment. If its fowlr then you can take almost any tank run a hob filter buy some base rock and start cycling.. if you want clams youre going to want some powerful lights, anemone's usually require pristine water as well as a stable well established tank, meaning you shouldnt add them right away and probably want to run a skimmer. Certain corals are going to require better lights while soft corals will be fine with t5's or even pc's...

Basics are going to be tank, substrate, heater, powerhead, lights, and filter. All of those can range in price depending on what you want your tank to do. Some people use lr as their only filter skipping the mechanical filtration, we just need more info on what you want your tank to have in it.

Tags
start, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com