Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-21-2012, 10:42 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

wanting to start marine reef tank need advice

Have had a lot of experience in freshwater fish and wanted to take the plunge into a marine tank. Currently have a 55 gallon aquarium with one RBP. He will be getting a new home and want to turn this 55 into a marine reef tank. I have plans to buy a odysea 36" four bulb t5 high out put aquarium light. I believe its 260 watt or so. I will update that part to the accurate number when I leave Nissan. Also getting a red Sea protein skimmer for up to 75 gallon aquariums. I know I need a sump, some live rock and my tank isn't drilled so ill need a over flow box. Anything I'm missing? Also any sumps that you can recommend under 200 that's complete with pump and over flow would be nice. I work 6 days a week so building my own isn't feasible. Also of course a marine liquid test kit as well. Thanks everybody its been a while since I was last on this forum.

Old 06-21-2012, 10:54 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I too work 6 days a week and trust me building your sump is by far the best way to go.. its really as simple as asking for a few cuts of acrylic at lowes/home depot,tape em into place, and glue. Took me all of an hour or two to finish mine. As for the light, what kinds of corals were you wanting to keep in this tank?

Old 06-21-2012, 10:59 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
Don't buy that red sea skimmer. get a better quality one, like an octopus, vertex, SWC, MSX, or even bubble magus.

Drill your tank before you fill it. Don't bother with a HOB overflow box.
It will take you about an hour to build your own sump out of a standard glass tank. The problem is, if you are putting it inside a stock 55 gallon stand, you won't be able to fit a standard glass tank. Are you using a standard stand?
Old 06-21-2012, 11:22 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

So its possible to drill the tank? I was under the impression it was coated shatterproof glass. I have a large wood stand that has a largish amount of space under it to place a sump under. I know it wouldn't take long I just don't have the time to undertake any projects building something like that. I would just rather order one from amazon and be done with it. I know it's possible to place the skimmer and heater inside the sump? I want to have the cleanest look possible. I don't want to go larger than 55 gallon at the moment. Also its a very heavy duty glass tank not like the new cheap glass and plastic trimmed standard tanks available now.
Old 06-21-2012, 11:27 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Also the lighting is 4x39w bulbs. T5 - HO
Old 06-24-2012, 03:20 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Any more advice / help for a experienced freshwater that needs some help with his first reef?
Old 06-24-2012, 05:22 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Why do you want to put a 36" light over a 48" tank? I think the ends of the tank will be dark and it might look odd as well.
Old 06-24-2012, 05:44 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartmyed9 View Post
So its possible to drill the tank? I was under the impression it was coated shatterproof glass. I have a large wood stand that has a largish amount of space under it to place a sump under. I know it wouldn't take long I just don't have the time to undertake any projects building something like that. I would just rather order one from amazon and be done with it. I know it's possible to place the skimmer and heater inside the sump? I want to have the cleanest look possible. I don't want to go larger than 55 gallon at the moment. Also its a very heavy duty glass tank not like the new cheap glass and plastic trimmed standard tanks available now.
Yes. You can drill the tank. Here is a good resource for information about drilling tanks and also a good place to purchase the bit and overflow box-
Glass-Holes.com dope aquarium stuff
Old 06-24-2012, 09:53 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

If you buy a sump/refugium from a manufacturer, then you will have to know the dimensions of everything before purchasing anything. Find a skimmer that you like, then know its required dimensions. Then find a sump that can fit the skimmer and fit under your stand.

I have the glass hole overflow and return kit. Its pretty neat stuff. I hope your glass is not tempered.
Old 06-26-2012, 08:53 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Honestly it appears to be. It has a green tint to it on the sides where the corners meet I dont see on other tanks plus the glass is a inch thick. So would a wet dry style sump be ideal or a refugium style sump?

Tags
marine, marine reef, reef, reef tank, start, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com