wanting to start marine reef tank need advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

iheartmyed9

Aquarium Advice Freak
Have had a lot of experience in freshwater fish and wanted to take the plunge into a marine tank. Currently have a 55 gallon aquarium with one RBP. He will be getting a new home and want to turn this 55 into a marine reef tank. I have plans to buy a odysea 36" four bulb t5 high out put aquarium light. I believe its 260 watt or so. I will update that part to the accurate number when I leave Nissan. Also getting a red Sea protein skimmer for up to 75 gallon aquariums. I know I need a sump, some live rock and my tank isn't drilled so ill need a over flow box. Anything I'm missing? Also any sumps that you can recommend under 200 that's complete with pump and over flow would be nice. I work 6 days a week so building my own isn't feasible. Also of course a marine liquid test kit as well. Thanks everybody its been a while since I was last on this forum.

I too work 6 days a week and trust me building your sump is by far the best way to go.. its really as simple as asking for a few cuts of acrylic at lowes/home depot,tape em into place, and glue. Took me all of an hour or two to finish mine. As for the light, what kinds of corals were you wanting to keep in this tank?

Don't buy that red sea skimmer. get a better quality one, like an octopus, vertex, SWC, MSX, or even bubble magus.

Drill your tank before you fill it. Don't bother with a HOB overflow box.
It will take you about an hour to build your own sump out of a standard glass tank. The problem is, if you are putting it inside a stock 55 gallon stand, you won't be able to fit a standard glass tank. Are you using a standard stand?

So its possible to drill the tank? I was under the impression it was coated shatterproof glass. I have a large wood stand that has a largish amount of space under it to place a sump under. I know it wouldn't take long I just don't have the time to undertake any projects building something like that. I would just rather order one from amazon and be done with it. I know it's possible to place the skimmer and heater inside the sump? I want to have the cleanest look possible. I don't want to go larger than 55 gallon at the moment. Also its a very heavy duty glass tank not like the new cheap glass and plastic trimmed standard tanks available now.

Why do you want to put a 36" light over a 48" tank? I think the ends of the tank will be dark and it might look odd as well.

So its possible to drill the tank? I was under the impression it was coated shatterproof glass. I have a large wood stand that has a largish amount of space under it to place a sump under. I know it wouldn't take long I just don't have the time to undertake any projects building something like that. I would just rather order one from amazon and be done with it. I know it's possible to place the skimmer and heater inside the sump? I want to have the cleanest look possible. I don't want to go larger than 55 gallon at the moment. Also its a very heavy duty glass tank not like the new cheap glass and plastic trimmed standard tanks available now.
Yes. You can drill the tank. Here is a good resource for information about drilling tanks and also a good place to purchase the bit and overflow box-
Glass-Holes.com dope aquarium stuff

If you buy a sump/refugium from a manufacturer, then you will have to know the dimensions of everything before purchasing anything. Find a skimmer that you like, then know its required dimensions. Then find a sump that can fit the skimmer and fit under your stand.

I have the glass hole overflow and return kit. Its pretty neat stuff. I hope your glass is not tempered.

Honestly it appears to be. It has a green tint to it on the sides where the corners meet I dont see on other tanks plus the glass is a inch thick. So would a wet dry style sump be ideal or a refugium style sump?

Rutrag said:
Why do you want to put a 36" light over a 48" tank? I think the ends of the tank will be dark and it might look odd as well.

It is a 36" tank. Its not your standard 55 gallon as stated in the first post. Its deeper and wider than a standard 55 gallon.

First off if you suspect the glass is tempered DO NOT DRILL IT. If you do and it is tempered your out of a tank. Better safe than sorry!!! As far as lights go it all depends on what you want to do. If your goin with softies the t5 will do but with a taller tank you will want more lighting to keep LPS and sps happy and healthy. Personally I would suggest led they are powerful and last a long time. Metal halide is the next option which would probably cost more than the LEDs. There are led fixtures online that are reasonably cheap.

Honestly it appears to be. It has a green tint to it on the sides where the corners meet I dont see on other tanks plus the glass is a inch thick. So would a wet dry style sump be ideal or a refugium style sump?

A refugium would be more beneficial than the wet dry filters.

Many people have success with the CPR overflows. Read all the good and bad reviews like you would for any other product. All types of overflow does not provide peace of mind.

Yes but you will be limited to what you can put inside of it. Also it needs to be big enough to prevent flooding. You never fill up all of the sump. If you ever lose power, some of the water will drain down to the sump until the water no longer reaches the overflow.

iheartmyed9 said:
So maybe a better size would be a 40 gallon tall?

Imo tall tanks are more trouble then there worth. If you could fit a 40b that'd be great with no center brace

From eye measurement I'd say the interior of my stand is 40" long maybe more its a good 30" wide or more stand what would fit in them and what about a refugium what are those and how do I get that started. I want to start with fowlr and move to corals and amoeba eventually with crabs and other invertebrates. What about my lighting choices and and I'm thinking of Fiji porous live rock the red lava looking rock. Not sure from where though but I like to order all my gear from amazon. I'm not looking to spend a lot.

I'd like to start off affordable then work my way up to the high end skimmers and filters and such. Want to start with some small clowns maybe some snails and small invertebrates like that.

Back
Top Bottom