Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-03-2011, 10:07 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Washing Sand!!!

I took Carey's advice and washed pool sand. A lot of work... but it only cost 5 dollars for 50 lbs! Its nice and clean now... ready to go in the tank...

Old 11-03-2011, 10:09 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Glad it worked out for you. I find it's worth the extra work when youre dealing with a lot. lol

Old 11-03-2011, 10:51 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

You're using pool sand in a saltwater tank? Personally, I always favored aragonite, as it dissolves over time and helps maintain the pH in the aquarium. Little more expensive, but cheap enough at PetCo in 20# bags, and better for the aquarium in the long run. JMO

"Listen to some of these guys talk, and it's like they were born from their momma's belly with a fishkeeping encyclopedia in one hand and an API kit in the other" (unrevealed).
Wy Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 11:17 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

i agree, although using the pool filter sand isn't a bad thing as loong as its the right kind that won't leach silicates or anything harmful into your water.

aragonite just seems to help things more and its a natural sand in reefs silica based sand is not
Old 11-03-2011, 11:19 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Maybe I can get some aragonite and mix it in too...
Old 11-03-2011, 11:53 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

won't do much, keep it the way it is and let it build up its life. there are other ways to get the PH up and live rock is calcium based aragonite rock anyways
Old 11-04-2011, 01:37 AM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djangom View Post
Maybe I can get some aragonite and mix it in too...
Don't think mixing the two would hurt anything, especially since you don't have the tank set up yet. As Gti stated, LR will also help with buffering the pH.

"Listen to some of these guys talk, and it's like they were born from their momma's belly with a fishkeeping encyclopedia in one hand and an API kit in the other" (unrevealed).
Old 11-04-2011, 09:47 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I've used pool sand twice and havent had any issues with ph. It's all a matter of the live rock and doing water changes.
Old 11-04-2011, 10:37 AM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by carey View Post
I've used pool sand twice and havent had any issues with ph. It's all a matter of the live rock and doing water changes.
No doubt that is true ~ but I never said it would cause issues with pH, I said that arogonite would help with pH issues. Not everyone is faithful with water changes and when we get a little lazy, which we all do, having that llittle extra buffering agent can make a difference.

Truth of the matter is, I know individuals who have used play sand successfully and even one fellow who took sand from a local lake (that tank is still up and continuing to run successfully by the way). Anything can be done if one wants to work at it hard enough. I simply pointed out that the arogonite is better for the tank in the long run.

Tags
sand

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com