Water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bamadude91

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey Guys. I've got a tank that has had a couple of freshwater fish in it for a couple weeks. I'm contemplating making it a nano saltwater tank. I've already got Super Naturals white sand in the tank, so all I need is salt, live rock, and the fish.
My question is, do I need to empty all the water the tank, partial water change, or just add the salt to the water I already have?

You'll need to start all over. The beneficial bacteria for freshwater and saltwater are different.

Your lucky then. Most have issues with their tap water and is highly recommended to use ro/Di water so that you can control everything being introduced to your tank

Not true had my reef over 2 years and it has always been tap water

It is possible to have a reef through tap water. Where this great water is coming from I have no clue as I run RO/DI with water so bad that resin that should last months barely lasts one. My local SW pal runs dechlorinated tap water and she has no algae issues...she actually starved an algae blenny. Just something you don't see very often. I'd kill for it. But, ro/di is highly recommended due to this water being rare.

OK. What exactly is ro/Di water?
I've got a replacement filter cartridge ready to go. It won't be too big of a deal to replace the water. I'd probably paint the back of the tank black while it was easy to move.

Ro/Di is water filtered through a Ro/Di unit which is reverse osmosis deionization. It removes pretty much everything in the water so you Can start from scratch and avoid algae issues. You can also buy it for around 30 cents a gallon I believe or premixed saltwater at your lps

Well, I found Petco Premixed Saltwater. Sounds easy enough. What about the sand? I can reuse it can't I?

I want a fish that is interesting that I'm not going to get bored with. I've got a couple Tetras and they're just boring. I really want a Tiger Oscar, but I don't have the equipment to house one. I've got a couple African Cichlids that are peaceful for a change (loads of personality, but i've had issues with aggression that killed 2 and 1 went back to the petstore).
I'm a biology major and have an interest in marine biology, and I find marine fish fascinating. I think I'd really like a saltwater tank and wouldn't get bored with them. Lol

I did freshwater for a decade while I was in high school. It does get boring. So far, I'm almost a year into saltwater and it doesn't really give you a chance to be bored. With proper research of livestock, you can make a lively tank.

I'm currently running a 55 gal reef set up for LPS/SPS coral. I have a b/w occy clown, indigo dottyback, coral beauty, lawnmower blenny, and this weeks addition of a green mandarin (the real test of how my tank and i are doing imo). These guys are pretty much on the move all the time.

as far as lighting, i've got fluorescent. i see you recommend LED. How will the fish look under fluorescent?

Back
Top Bottom