Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-21-2013, 01:21 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Water

I am wondering if its ok to use my well water in my salt water tank? Just getting ready to set it up and I can't find RO water anywhere. Last time I tested my well about a year ago it was great water? What could happen if I used my well water?

Thanks

Nick

Old 06-21-2013, 12:14 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Probably not a great idea. If you can't get ro/di water you can use distiller water instead.

Old 06-21-2013, 12:36 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

It depends what all is in the well water. Typically tap water has things in it beyond the chlorine/chloramine that are bad for fish. Sometimes it causes problems over time, usually not right away. What did you test in your water? Do you know the TDS?

Not sure where you are, but in my area, almost every grocery store and gas station has one of those big water dispensers where you bring your own bottles to fill. They use carbon and RO and it runs about a quarter a gallon. TDS is usually around 003. Not perfect, but way better than my tap water. There are also a few stores that strictly sell water. I've never tried those though.
Old 06-21-2013, 12:45 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

I'm in eastern maine and our options are very limited. I checked a few walmarts last night when I was in bangor and they didn't have any. Ill have to check Machias and see what they have.

Bummer

Thanks
Old 06-21-2013, 01:02 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

There is always the option of purchasing a RODI system. The cost is up front, but saves money over time. Also saves carrying around all the 5g containers to the store and back.
Old 06-21-2013, 06:13 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaineSalt View Post
I am wondering if its ok to use my well water in my salt water tank? Just getting ready to set it up and I can't find RO water anywhere. Last time I tested my well about a year ago it was great water? What could happen if I used my well water?

Thanks

Nick
The water may be good but some minerals that are good for us are not good for marine animals copper is one .

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com