Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-21-2005, 10:07 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via MSN to Hollywood
Water

I was just wondering where could I get the best water from when I can't get it from my usuall source? Bottled ect......

Old 10-21-2005, 10:47 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

How about getting a RO/DI unit and making it yourself?

Old 10-21-2005, 10:53 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via MSN to Hollywood
Huh!

Wow... never herd of what you just said. ummm... I just kinda want to know what water would be safe to fill my tank with. Could I use bottled? If so what should I look for. Any type?
Old 10-21-2005, 11:11 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to greenmaji
it depends on the size of your tank.. It would have to be a nano for it to be cost effective to use bottled water over making your own filtered water with a RO/DI unit.. over time.. HTH (RO/DI units produce bottled water by filtering your tapwater)
Old 10-21-2005, 11:37 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

I think hollywood is wondering *IF* he can't get his regular RO/DI water in a pinch would it be ok to use bottled water.

You can buy RO water in a 1 Gal jug at Wall-Mart near my house for use in an emergency you may look there for it. EDIT: I meant at a wall-Mart not nessisarily the one near my house.

Here is an article on Bottled water and its contents. This study was from the scope of drinking suitability but it also gives enough information to tell you that not all bottled waters are created equally and many contain nitrates, phosphates and other potentially damaging compounds.

http://www.nrdc.org/water/drinking/bw/chap3.asp

Best Wishes,

Mark

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com