Water Buckets

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Emelinda76

Aquarium Advice Freak
Where to buy a 75 gallon water storage system/bucket?

Is it safe to use a regular garbage from home depot ?

Diablito

Yes, they would be safe to use.
Without wheels, they are well known for tipping over though. If you use one make sure that you keep it on a flat surface that 100 gallons of spilled water can be cleaned easily. This one does look like it would be better than some of the other wheeled trash cans though.

I would be cautious though. Make sure you clean the trash can out with a bleach/water solution, rinse it out, and then let it air dry for a day or two. Just to make sure there aren't any leftover chemicals or organics in the bucket. Still, if it were me, i wouldn't buy anything that wasn't food grade rated. But on the contrary, i do store water in 5G paint buckets. But i did clean it out with a bleach/water solution first off like i mentioned above.

I'd be careful using a garbage bin to hold aquarium water. Some garbage bins contain fungicide(I'm pretty sure rubbermaid does, but don't quote me on that). Also, structurally they are not designed to hold water. That's a lot of pressure pushing out in all directions. It would probably be fine short term, but I wouldn't trust it as a permanent solution.

Try checking Craigslist for food grade containers.

Thanks for your advise... I think I'll go with a food grade container... Don't want rubber to let out any chemicals..

although I was using the actual salt buckets ? what about those? It would be longer term just for 24 hour period

Diablito

I'm thinking there's no such thing as a 75g bucket or drum that any "Joe homeowner" can deal with. Home depot has a 44g with dolly.

Why do you think you need 75g?

Last edited:
3nf3k33o45Y15P65R0b2l8c14c46116801240.jpg

I use 2 of these I picked up at a garage sale for $10.00. This photo is is from craigslist. I see them on there on a regular basis.

All RubberMaid BRUTE products are food grade. I use a 45 gallon BRUTE trashcan to hold my top off water. Unlike the normal trash cans, this one does not bow out from the water pressure.

You can get larger containers from places like US Plastics.

austinsdad said:
I'm still curious about the need for a 75g can.

My tank is 220 gallon .. Didn't want to have to fill many 5 gallon bucket just in case I ever had to make more than 30% water change at once n if I move I can carry some of the water with me... N not worry... Thinking long term... Or I'm I wrong? What size should be enough?

Diablito

I think you'll be sorry if you don't get a wheeled dolly for it. I actually had 3 44g, 2 with wheels for my 155g tank. The third w/out wheels was for the waste water my wife couldn't stand seeing going down the drain. Kept it for laundry. You'd have to use 2 of them for your new SW mix, whereas I was using one for mix, the second for FW for topping off. When time for PWC's one on wheels was my dirty water siphoned from the tank. Having my SW sitting next to it always helped me make sure I didn't get carried away siphoning and cleaning and take out more than I had ready to put back in.

So, have you thought about how many containers you're going to need? Gotta keep FW available to0, unless you're going straight from the tap. Not good for reef. I'm guessing for that sized tank, you'll evaporate 3-9 or so gallons per day, depending on lighting and ambient dryness or humidity in the room.

Back
Top Bottom