Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-03-2010, 10:03 AM   #11
AA Team Emeritus

I get new test kits when they near their expiration. They're probably good for at least another 6 months, but why chance a bad reading on a <$25 test kit (I mostly use Salifert).

Reef Aquarium Water Parameters is a great article on typical parameters.

cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 01:04 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thaks for the advice and everything guys. It is with a heavy heart and a lot of frustration when I say I will have to put the tank on hold for at least another month or two. I was told by an IRS lady that I will be getting audited and will have to wait at least a month until I might see the check. This is a bummer as I had a bunch of stuff on hold at my LFS... I won't give up, just delay the inevitable...More time to learn one supposses.

Old 06-03-2010, 09:04 PM   #13
AA Team Emeritus

Good Luck!
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 04:15 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Activist

Ok, so I finally got my check, paid off necessary bills, and have begun the process of starting my tank. I decided to to upgrade to a 29g tank as it has the same foot print as the 20L but a bit taller. Luckily, Petco is having a great sale, $1.00 per gallon for all tanks up to I think 55g. I have ordered 2 Koraline nano 425gph pumps, 24# of LR, 2 100 W heaters, and a H.O.B. skimmer/sump set up (a bit leary about how this will work out, but I figured it could only help as it will add extra water movement and will be a place to put some mud/LR particles/chaeto etc.) I have a question as to what to do next. Can I start the cycle with a live sand/crushed coral mix, or do I wait for EVERYTHING to get in? Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Old 06-30-2010, 05:40 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would not add any crushed coral as it will be hard to remove later.Get the things that you need then start your cycle. That would be enough LR and you really don't need LS as Aragonite dry is much cheaper and twice as good, the sand was more then likely sitting on your dealers shelf and is no longer live anyway.
So get your rock, Power heads and circulating pump then you can start your cycle,
Test the water at your home it may not be good enough for a reef setup and you may need a RO/DI system.
Old 07-02-2010, 03:57 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Activist

Today I picked up some supplies... black argonite sand 40#, salt mix, hydrometer, and a test kit. Still waiting for the supplies I ordered online to arrive and then I will get the tank up and running!
Old 07-02-2010, 05:03 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Great, almost ready to go for it..
Old 07-02-2010, 11:38 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Activist

Ok, so my base rock and two 425 Koralia water movers. I washed the rock off, it was extremely dirty, and have placed it in the tank. I don't have the heaters yet so I haven't mixed any water yet but I am hoping to get my heaters tomorrow and start cycling thereafter. I am really pleased with the rock sculpting and will try to load up some pictures tomorrow. I'm off to drink some beers and celebrate my nations "bday." happy almost 4th everybody...
Old 07-06-2010, 08:10 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Activist

I finally got everything in and have the tank up and cycling. It is still really cloudy because I decided to add black sand as the substrate. I threw the dead shrimp in a plastic ziplock bag, poked a bunch of holes in it and threw it in the tank so the cycle will start. When it clears up I will try and post some pictures. Day 1 begins...
Old 07-06-2010, 09:03 PM   #20
AA Team Emeritus

If you are worried about removing the carcass, I would wrap it in some cheesecloth. I dont know if you will get enough exchange through the ziploc.

Dorm Pico Tank
Jimbo7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
level, test

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com