Water change

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Patti

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Could you tell me the best way to get my water ready for a water change? I added my ro/di water to a Rubbermaid container and add the correct amount of Instant Ocean salt (1/2 cup per gallon). Then I added a powerhead and a heater to the container for around 5 hours. Salinity was at 1.023, the same as my tank water. I then did a 25 percent water change, and checked the salinity this morning and it was close to 1.028. Where did I go wrong? Should I have waited 24 hours before adding the replacement water? Can you tell I am a beginner?!? Thank you, Patti

yea i would wait till the following day and then check it !! other than that your on the right track :)

Maybe the tank water was a bit high to start with ..

edit: sorry, I did not read the part where you said it was the same... :)

I mix up mine about 2-3 days in advance, and aerate it with a powerhead . I recheck the salinity at that point and sometimes it reads different than when I mixed it.

Boy I have been mixing and adding within the same 1/2. I heat my water on the stove in a pan I use only for that purpose. I better mend my way... I have a question with the reading. I use a coralife deep six and I keep mine at 1.020 and everyone seems happy. Should I pick this up a bit???

Instant ocean usually mixes quickly. After 5 or 6 hours it should be completely dissolved. Allowing it to mix overnight allows the pH to stabilize as it will change over time with exposure to air. What do you use to check specific gravity? Make sure the tank water and the make up water are the same temperature. In order to get accurate specific gravity reading with hydrometers (if that's what you use) the samples must be the same temperature.

i let mine airate for 7 days before i use it in my tank

reefobsessed said:
Boy I have been mixing and adding within the same 1/2. I heat my water on the stove in a pan I use only for that purpose. I better mend my way... I have a question with the reading. I use a coralife deep six and I keep mine at 1.020 and everyone seems happy. Should I pick this up a bit???

1.020 should be fine for fish only , but if you have inverts and corals you will want it too be 1.023 - 1.025 iv heard of people keeping it at 1.028, but that seems too high for me.

Quick question on cycling. I am setting up a new 75g reef system. While the system is cycling is it necessary to add the salt to the water?? It just seems like a total waste to me if it's not required for some reason.

Thanks,
Karl

I agree with scuba_steve. Are you curing the live rock right now? You want to use your saltwater during the cycle so the little critters in the live rock are ok. I don't think they can live in freshwater.

Back
Top Bottom