water change

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

emorrison33

Aquarium Advice Activist
I recently started a salwater fish tank about a week ago. I have one piece of LR and a yellow tail damsel (for cycling). I will add the rest fo my live rock (about 30 more pounds) once the tank has cycled. My question is, should I be doing weekly water changes while the tank is still cycling ??

Maybe for the damsel`s sake you should have read the article about a fishless cycle. Using fish to cycle the tank is a big mistake and disservice to your damsel.

You should have added all the LR in the beginning that way it all is cured at the same time. Adding more LR if not fully cured may cause a new cycle. And do small water changes to help out the damsel.

I dont doubt that you are sincere in what you are saying. But you are sincerely wrong. Open your eyes and smell the facts not your opinions.

opps some people got offended....let me reword that...there are many ways to cycle a tank.......choose wisely,

Yes, you are correct there are many ways to do things in this hobby.
How about giving some advise that someone can use.

The "new" in thing is to cycle without fish, as I have learned, but being an old fart who has been with fresh water for 25 years, some people still use fish for cycling. And yes my LFS did recommend using a damsel for cycling. But I am surprised at how "nasty" people are on this site, when I am only looking to learn about saltwater fish keeping. A less direct approach would be appreciated instead of a scolding. But I do thank all those who responded for your help, and I appreciate it.

emorrison33 said:
But I am surprised at how "nasty" people are on this site, when I am only looking to learn about saltwater fish keeping.

i feel the same way.....its like they are throwing stones at you. god forbid you say cycle a tank using fish

emorrison do not let the comments from a few people lead you to believe that we are all the same way. You will find most people here helpful and pleasant to deal with.
Cycling with a fish is the way most LFS tell us to do it. Is it the preferred method probably not, is it the end of the world no. Just keep an eye on the ammonia and nitrites and if they get too high it can kill the fish. Doing small water changes will help reduce the stress on the fish.

First I love the picture in your avatar 33. Second, I am only being so called nasty because I care for lives no matter what species or standard. For someone to put a life through what they would have to go through in a cycle when they could avoid it and do a fishless cycle is just plain wrong IMO. The purpose of having a aquarium is to provide Quality life for the inhabitants of it. Y ou sure would object if it was you in there going through sewer conditions and nobody cares. I`m sorry if I appeared nasty but I care for all forms of life and if I did not care enough to prevent loss of life or poor standards of life I would not even get an aquarium. Sorry I take my resonsibility seriously. Sorry for the scolding but in a way I`m not.

Thanks Melou58 the fish can not speak for them self and the guy at the LFS only wants to sell a fish he does not care what the fish will go through. :(

I understand melosu, and I appreciate your help...I really do. I have already done a small water change, and the damsel is doing well. My Nitrates are a little high at the moment, but other than that everything is fine. I had purchased the "live" sand that is supposed to help out with the cycling, so things are progressing quicker in the tank...which is godd for the damsels sake. I do feel bad for the little guy, but after advice from the LFS figured it was the best way to cycle. I hope this doesn't discourage anyone form offering advice in the future.

But also understand the LFS is only concerned about making a sale. We will have to agree to disagree. I`ve said my peace and you guys know where I stand. enough said . GO COWBOYS

Back
Top Bottom