Water Change After Cycle HELP!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BlueDolphin

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello all! My tank just finished cycling and I am in the middle of doing a water change. I didn't have saltwater already prepared so I am making it and going to let it sit for about an hour before I put it back in my main tank (is this ok?) My question is: how long can my tank sit with the pump on while I am preparing the water? I have two hermit crabs and two turbo snails in the tank at the moment.

TIA! :B-fly:

so I am making it and going to let it sit for about an hour before I put it back in my main tank (is this ok?)

If there are no animals in the tank, it should be fine, however, once you start stocking, you should mix the water for a minimum of 6 hours and I like to let it aerate overnight.

If the pump is on, there is only a problem for the pump, if it is sucking air, it could over heat and crack the sealed casing. I assume you mean off. Several hours, I'm sure ;)

oops. Yes, I meant with the pump OFF. Thanks for the info! I'm actually still in the middle of doing the water change. I will definitely have the water saltwater premixed next time! :?

Aerate- To supply or impregnate with common air; as, to a["e]rate
soil; to a["e]rate water.

Use an air pump with an airstone on the end of it, and let it run. You can pick up airpumps at lfs or walmart real cheap. :wink:

revhtree said:
Use an air pump with an airstone on the end of it, and let it run. You can pick up airpumps at lfs or walmart real cheap. :wink:
Actually any cheap powerhead would do a better job. Placed at the bottom of the mixing container pointed upwards. It will mix the salt and aggitate the surface water accomplishing two important goals simultaniously.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom