Water change during cycle?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shannono

Aquarium Advice Regular
Am I correct in assuming that I should NOT do a water change during the cycle? I started cycling on 4/21/05. I am doing periodic top-offs, but no water changes. What if it takes weeks for the tank to cycle? Should I do a water change at some point, or wait for the cycle to complete? :roll:

Wait it out, there is no life in there (I assume you are using a raw shirmp) so there is no need for a waterchange right now.

Actually, I'm cycling with damsels, not shrimp. The LFS wouldn't do fishless cycling, and I went along with it (oh well). Since I have actual fish in my tank, should I do a water change during the cycle?

I wouldn't, but you could use some Prime to convert the ammonia to a more non toxic form to help the fish... I did a damsel cycle too without any problems to my fish.

I have a 28 gallon euro bowfront tank. I just finished cycling my rock. My question is for a reef tank is it bad to have ceramic media in my canister filter? I was told that that the ceramic media as well as any bio balls will contribute to nitrates. is this true?

dr.diggler said:
I have a 28 gallon euro bowfront tank. I just finished cycling my rock. My question is for a reef tank is it bad to have ceramic media in my canister filter? I was told that that the ceramic media as well as any bio balls will contribute to nitrates. is this true?
Yes it's true. It won't be immediate though. It will slowly build up on you. You should try replacing them a portion at a time with live rock rubble. Say a third at a time every week or two. Give the lr rubble a chance to build up some bacteria between changes. The lr must be completely submerged though.

Live Rock Rubble? is that just small pieces of live rock. I currently have 35lbs of live rock in that tank. I have ammonia and carbon in the canister filter, with reef tanks is it still necessary to put ammonia and carbon in the canister.

dr.diggler said:

No, bioballs will not (in itself) create or contribute to nitrates. What you will hear from various sources that bioballs are nitrate factories which cannot be true. Nitrates are only created throughout the bacterial cycle (ammonia-nitrite-nitrate). Bioballs can catch gunk in its holes and the gunk breaks down through the cycle (which is why you use some sort of prefilter in your skimmer box). No filter element (cannister, hob, wet/dry etc.) has the capability of creating nitrates. Some tanks are better than others at removing them (a tank with a dsb and skimmer or perhaps a tank with LOTS of lr and a skimmer). The effective removal of nitrates through denitrification or water changes is highly desirable and should be the goal for every aquarist, but there isn't anything wrong with bioballs if you keep them gunk free.

I am going to remove the ceramic media tonight and replace with live rock rubble. Thanks for the advice. How many hours of the day do you have lighting on your tank?

Back
Top Bottom