Water change from basement to upstairs.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BeaglesBuddy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
The room directly below my tank Has the main water supply. I was thinking about installing a sink and mixing a large bin of water for changes (25 gallons). It's the perfect spot for ro/di too. My question is will a normal relatively inexpensive powerhead be able to get the water up the stairs through 25' of hose?

You need to find out how high the water needs to travel. It doesn't really matter how far, just how high.

Eheim 1260 and 2260 Water Pump

For example, this pump says max pumping height is 12 feet. That should be enough to go up one story. Listed price is $134.

If you build the sink higher then normal the pump won't have to push the water as far which could put you into a cheaper pump. I didn't look at any other brands, but now you know what to look for it should be easy to find what you need.

P.S. Powerheads don't pump water, they just move water around to create flow.

You need to find out how high the water needs to travel. It doesn't really matter how far, just how high.

Eheim 1260 and 2260 Water Pump

For example, this pump says max pumping height is 12 feet. That should be enough to go up one story. Listed price is $134.

If you build the sink higher then normal the pump won't have to push the water as far which could put you into a cheaper pump. I didn't look at any other brands, but now you know what to look for it should be easy to find what you need.

P.S. Powerheads don't pump water, they just move water around to create flow.
Thanks

Just like DS said, you'll have to look at the head height on the pump to see if it will be capable of pushing the water that far. You'll need a pretty good size pump, like the one DS listed (or bigger depending on your setup). Powerheads can't do it, you'll have to get a pump.

There's some at Lowe's ie. 560gph (or so) with a max head height of 14.1ft. for 64dollars and change. ( i work there in the garden center and spend alot of time reading those things for the aquaria sake) i believe there is another around the 720gph for around 80-90 but im not sure.

Well I measured from the bottom of my stairs to bottom of tank is just over 12' and then from floor to tank is probably another 5'. I'm assuming I don't have to measure the horizontal length from top of basement stairs to the floor of the tank. I found this chart mid page. Mag pump chart

It ain't cheap but as long as this chart isn't a fabrication I should be able to do 200-400 gph with the mag 36.

Back
Top Bottom