Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-29-2005, 03:55 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

water change or not??

yeah im cycling my tank with my 40 pounds of keys and my ammonia is testing and its like dark green almost looks blue very dark do i change about 5 gallons to try and bring it down or let it go? and my ph has dropped to 7.8

Old 05-29-2005, 09:36 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to mjvincent
You shouldn't need to do a water change if you are cycling your tank... Wait until the cylcle is complete.

32 gallon hex, 34 lbs lr, Prizm protein skimmer, fluval 104, 1 maxi jet 750, 1 maxi jet 1200 ph, current 40w 50/50 pc, 1 NO powerglo 19watt, 1 daylight NO 65w (equiv), two damsels, 1 green brittlestar, 1 peppermint shrimp, turbo snails, red legged hermit crabs, kenyan tree coral, leather coral, pumping xenia, mushroom coral, green star polyps, orange button polyps
mjvincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2005, 10:45 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to spongeynip
water changes will only slow down the cycle and eliminate vital bacteria. And you could buy a ph conditioner (i'm not sure, but i think Kent Marine makes them)
Old 05-29-2005, 01:33 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
water changes will only slow down the cycle
This is true, but you may be able to preserve some of the visible life and the hitch hikers that came in on your LR. Not much will live through the cycle otherwise.
Quote:
and eliminate vital bacteria
If you take water from the water colume and do not syphon the substrate there will be minimal bacteria loss.
I would not bother buffering Ph right now. A small waer change may help with that. Ph is not too important during the cyle, your tank will stand a low Ph better then it will stand a rapid change in Ph.
Old 05-29-2005, 03:30 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

would you guys recommend me scrubbing off the die off on the rock to take the ammonia down and dunking it in some fresh saltwater?
Old 05-29-2005, 03:47 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

also since my ammonia is so high does that mean theres enough in the tank to turn it into nitrites or do i still need to throw a shrimp in?
also, by the end of my cycle am i gonna lose all my coraline algeas?
Old 05-29-2005, 04:14 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would not scrub the rock. IF over-nighted from LR.com there was not too much die off. Besides, it is wha ti jump-starting your cycle. No need for a shrimp now.
Old 05-29-2005, 04:44 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

so what your saying is nitrites will be coming around sometime and also am i gonna lose all my coraline algeas?
Old 05-29-2005, 08:36 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to SeriousDude5
No coraline is a relitily hardy algea it will easily surrive the cycle heck if it can surrive shipping 3 days it can surrvice nitrites and nitrates. They will eventually go down during the cycle you know when your tank is ready when they read 0. No water change is needed it will do it itself.
Old 05-30-2005, 11:31 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

well only will say 2 words for this, BE PATIENT!!!!!!
you can't rush on this or you just get ready to fail and redo everything again.

oyf709 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
change, water change

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com