Water Change question.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dbouchard

Aquarium Advice Regular
ok newbie dumb questions im sure but I would rather ask and know then be sorry later.

I know that soap is bad for the fishtank, I ahve 2 pails that I intend to use for my water change this evening, they were once just multi purpose pails that were used for cleaning, ive given them a good wash with hot water, and no soap.

will they be ok to use?

they are the biggest pails I could find, I intend to change about half of my water.

I cant really tell you how much ammonia is in my tank I hate to say, because i bought some strips but they dont say the ammonia

just ph and nitrite and nitrate, since I see none of the above im assuming there MUST be some ammonia in there

im hoping to go tomorrow morning and get something to help me quantify how much ammonia might be in there.

any thoughts, opinions?

thanks

Dee

To avoid any contamination I would just got to lowes or home depot and get 2 5g painters buckets. It has the graduated markers for how much water is in the pail so you can tell exactly how much water comes out and how much to add back in. The pails cost like $5 a piece but its better safe than sorry.

I would strongly urge you to pick up a liquid API test kit. It is a must have accessory. They run maybe $20 online so not too pricey. Those strips you are using are pretty much garbage, very in accurate.....

I suspected that was the case with the strips, I was actually finding them a bit difficult to decipher

Yeah, just get the api kit, the freshwater master one will have everything you need. Ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and ph. :-D

API test kit is the way to go for sure. I started with the strips like you and they are garbage. The API FW master test kit is way more accurate and you feel like a scientist.

I wouldn't worry too much about getting new pails, I use pails that I've used for who knows what and I've never had any issues. Hot water and vinegar mixture with a good scrubbing should be just fine.

I doubt the pails would be an issue. I've used joint compound buckets for years and never had a problem just wash them out very well you should be fine

Back
Top Bottom