Water change question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheGrapeApe

Aquarium Advice Freak
If lowering levels in my tank what's the safest number of water changes per week

i dont understand your question.. water changes per week? you should only do 1 weekly, as dmolavi said, a 50% water change will have more impact than a 10% water change once a day for a week, just keep your water changes religious weekly and make it part of your routine, it will become easier for you to keep your parameters stable once you get into a routine with your maintenance, Good Luck :D

You can do as many wc's as you want/need as long as you do the following
1. Match the temp to +- 2 degrees of your tank
2. Match salinity exactly ( using a refractometer not a swing arm hydrometer)
3. Match your trace element levels (can be higher than what's in your tank, and this is not as important as the first 2)
4. Thoroughly mix the saltwater (I mix for ~24 hrs)
Edit: know that 2 50% wc's will not lower nitrates (or whatever) all the way. If you had 100ppm nitrates and did 2 50% changes it would drop to 25ppm not 0 (50ppm after the first then to 25 after the second). Hope that helps

I've heard that doing more frequent, small changes, like 5% twice per week or 10% weekly, goes further in reducing phosphates and nitrates than fewer large changes. The phosphates leech out of the rocks over time.

Weekly wc's are best IMO but I think the op was wondering how many they could do in a week and was saying that you can do any amount of wc's you want. As long as they're done correctly a wc will never be harmful no matter the size or frequency

Back
Top Bottom