Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-03-2005, 07:19 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Water change question

I was wondering when i do a water change do i syphon the sand as well or just take out the water. I syphoned the sand and my nitrates jumped up but my ammonia and nitrites and ph are still stable.

Old 04-03-2005, 03:12 PM   #2
steve-s

Some will tell you to vacuum the sandbed, personally I think it to be one of the worst things you can do. If you want to remove excess pollutants, fan the top of the sandbed gentley before the water change so the detritus works it's way back into the water column. This allows you to remove some via the water change, your skimmer/filtration equip a second chance at removal and it will feed some corals if any. If there is an abundance, you should also look at cutting back on the amount and frequencey of your feedings as well as possibley bolstering your clean up crew.

In short, just siphon out the water.

Cheers
Steve
Old 04-03-2005, 10:05 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

c'mon steve it all depends on the type of sand bed.

is it a ssb or dsb?

i would syphon the ssb all the way to the glass and rotate around. a little here one week a little there the next. not all at once. if its a dsb (i do not have a dsb) i would somewhat agree with steve or just get the top layer. i wouldnt suggest stiring as some may suggest

Peppermint Shrimp:
Crush two tbs minced mint leaves (no stems) with the juice of two limes, two tbs of sugar and a shot of light rum. Marinade eight cleaned jumbo shrimp for two hours in fridge or overnight (overnight is best). Skewer and salt shrimp. Broil or grill over medium high heat until shrimp become opaque (apx. two and a half min per side). Serve with black beans cooked with garlic, green onions, bacon and topped with a slice of lime.
douggiestyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 10:18 PM   #4
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by douggiestyle
c'mon steve it all depends on the type of sand bed.
LOL sure it does... as you wish

Cheers
Steve
Old 04-04-2005, 09:16 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

no need for sarcasm and eye rolling.

if you disagree, just disagree.

and i take it you do.

hey steve remember this long banter.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewto...579&highlight=

Peppermint Shrimp:
Crush two tbs minced mint leaves (no stems) with the juice of two limes, two tbs of sugar and a shot of light rum. Marinade eight cleaned jumbo shrimp for two hours in fridge or overnight (overnight is best). Skewer and salt shrimp. Broil or grill over medium high heat until shrimp become opaque (apx. two and a half min per side). Serve with black beans cooked with garlic, green onions, bacon and topped with a slice of lime.
douggiestyle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
change, water change

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com