Water change requirements

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pinda

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi guys I am new to saltwater aqauriums. I would like to know what is needed for a water change. When I change my water must I change it only with cycled water????? What additives must I use??? Can I use tap water?????

It is best to use RO water. It is not "cycled" water. Tanks get cycled, but it is not the water that is growing the good bacteria during the cycling process, it is being grown on surfaces such as rock, sand, filtration media and things like that.

You mix the saltwater in a bucket, rubbermaid container or whatever you have that is large enough to hold the water that you will be using. Let it mix well and aerate for 24 hours before using. During the cold months, you may want to put a heater in there to make sure the water is the proper temperature. If you are using a quality salt mix, additives are not needed.

Hara said:
It is best to use RO water. It is not "cycled" water. Tanks get cycled, but it is not the water that is growing the good bacteria during the cycling process, it is being grown on surfaces such as rock, sand, filtration media and things like that.

You mix the saltwater in a bucket, rubbermaid container or whatever you have that is large enough to hold the water that you will be using. Let it mix well and aerate for 24 hours before using. During the cold months, you may want to put a heater in there to make sure the water is the proper temperature. If you are using a quality salt mix, additives are not needed.
Thanks for the advice but could you explain aerate??? Do you mean have a powerhead in there or just leave it uncovered?

Do you mean have a powerhead in there or just leave it uncovered?
Both. Provide good circulation and allow for air to escape and enter the container your using. Aerating the new saltwater for 24 hours, or more, will allow the salt to fully dissolve and the PH to reach the proper level.

Aerating can be putting an airstone in there or a PH with it pointing at the surface for good surface aggitation. No additives are needed. SW mix has everything you need.

I just wanted to ask, since I am on well water, what about tap water, are there chemicals that would cause problems, like chloramine (sp?)?

I was reading somewhere that Ocean water can be used for a SW tank provided that a UV sterlizer is used. Can someone clarify this for me???? If so what else is needed especially since the water here in the caribbean isn't very polluted.

Pollution and parasites are reasons why I dont recommend water from the ocean.

Back
Top Bottom