Water Change Storage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Stat

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have been using various methods to store my water for water changes. I like to make my water up over the course of a day. I want to store about 50 gallons. I tried using a rubber maid 50 Gallon Rolling trash can and the trash can collapsed around the wheels and almost tipped over. What do you guys store your water in. Please be specific as possible. I have spent way to much already on failed/half working options to not get it right this time.

stat, i never store my water and i have had really good luck doing so... i have read several articles online thay say the human finger can detect temperature differences within something like .025 degrees... i always just put dechlorinator in and fill a bucket, then let it set for 5 minutes or so and pour the water in my tank... it works for me... im sure there are people on here with more complicated and maybe more proven methods, but i havent had any problems at all doing it that way... the fish have never had any problems with it, they always seem to not even care whats going on... i have several family members who have had aquariums for many years and they all do the same, with the same results...

Mine's in a small trash can since I only have a small tank. But i'd look into water drums/barrels. Not too sure where to pick them up locally but they'll certainly mail order.

While I can not speak to the application of FW. SW mixes can be very caustic to fish and inverts. It is very important to get the water temp and salinity the same as your tank's. You should never add salt mix directly to your tank when there are animals in it.
I store mine in a 32G bucket, with a heater and ph for water movement. Why a 50 G bucket, how big is your tank?

I use a 60 gallon plastic drum designed for food I found at a garage sale.

3n13me3ldZZZZZZZZZ97jb5f93577007819e5.jpg

Found these on craigslist.org.

When I had my 150 gallon tank, I used a large rubbermaid storage container. It probably held about 30 gallons of water. I kept it in my garage, but at some point, somehow the heater melted a hole in the bottom and all of the water leaked out so I don't use that method anymore. I just keep a couple of old salt buckets with the lids on. I bring them out of the garage in the morning before a water change and heat them and airate them prior to using them. I use RO water that takes about 3 hours to fill a bucket, so I am ready ahead of time.

I have a 90 gallon tank with a 20 gallon sump so my total valume is about 110 gallons. I like to keep water on hand for emergency's I use an RO/DI system so it takes a long time to fill my containers. I mix the salt to my spec's 1.022 and use 2 heaters and 2 maxi head power jets to keep them warm and circulating. I would love to combine this into 1 container. I have been unable to find anythign on CL that would meet my needs. I am hoping to use some sort of large trash can, But Like in my previous post the rubbermaid I purchased collapsed in around the wheels when I got over Halfway. I store the water in the same room as my office where my display tank is. So a secure and safe solution is what I need.

Btw I do a 30 gallon water change every 2 weeks. So what I am aiming for is a 30 gallon change with 20 gallons on hand for an emergency.

Back
Top Bottom