Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-18-2006, 01:23 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Water Change Without Disruption

This will be the first time I have made a water change since I have had livestock in my aquarium. I did a 75% change after my cycle completed. I used a 5 gallon bucket to discard and refill my tank. I was looking for some ideas on how to dump the new water in the tank without disrupting the sand and making the tank cloudy. I know that I can siphon the water but I would have to have the 5 gallon bucket above my aquarium (don't have a chair that high). How does everyone else do it?

Old 09-18-2006, 01:31 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

I use a submersible pump and vinyl hose to pump water into the tank so I can aim the flow and not disturb much at all. Some setups remove and add water to a sump also.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 01:34 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
Water Change Without Disruption

LOL! I had the same problem. I actually was lifting the water onto a 5 foot ladder. One day I was at HD and saw some water pumps. I thought to myself, why don't I just use one of those, then I won't have to lift that water. I don't know why I didn't think of it before.....

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 01:49 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Take one of the Powerheads from your tank and drop it in the bucket with a piece of tubing on the output, and viola, instant pump.
Old 09-18-2006, 05:20 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

I use a well cleaned plastic gallon milk jug. (because I have yet to set up my auto-top off! ) I cut a notch at the top of the handle of the jug to allow for air to escape for fast filling. The notch also keeps the water from gulping when pouring it into the tank. Cheap, easy and works great!
Old 09-18-2006, 08:30 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

I just lift 5 gallons at a time and pour slowly. If I did larger PWC's then I would definately usea pump.
AC 300 HOB
AC 402 Powerhead - AC 301 Powerhead
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 09:02 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thanks for the advice. I used the 5-foot ladder method and siphoned the water. Worked really good just a little more work. I didn't disturb anything. I'm getting my first fish tommorow. I think a yellow tang or a naso tang if I can find one.
Old 09-19-2006, 02:41 PM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
yellow tang or a naso tang if I can find one.
75g and 125g respectively IMO. What sized tank you got?

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 04:19 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

75 gallon. I plan on getting juvenile and trading in when they get bigger. How long does it take for a juvenile tang (1 inch) to become an adult. I know many variables determine this but what is a good estimate.
Old 09-19-2006, 07:01 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
I use a well cleaned plastic gallon milk jug.
I do, too. I cut out the whole spout area, so I have about a 3 inch round opening at the top of the handle level.
Many probably think this inefficient, but I don't mind taking a while to do the water changes. I change 15 gallons in a 75 every other week .

Tags
change, water change

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com