Water Change Without Disruption

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

duddi

Aquarium Advice Regular
This will be the first time I have made a water change since I have had livestock in my aquarium. I did a 75% change after my cycle completed. I used a 5 gallon bucket to discard and refill my tank. I was looking for some ideas on how to dump the new water in the tank without disrupting the sand and making the tank cloudy. I know that I can siphon the water but I would have to have the 5 gallon bucket above my aquarium (don't have a chair that high). How does everyone else do it?

I use a submersible pump and vinyl hose to pump water into the tank so I can aim the flow and not disturb much at all. Some setups remove and add water to a sump also.

LOL! I had the same problem. I actually was lifting the water onto a 5 foot ladder. One day I was at HD and saw some water pumps. I thought to myself, why don't I just use one of those, then I won't have to lift that water. I don't know why I didn't think of it before.....

Take one of the Powerheads from your tank and drop it in the bucket with a piece of tubing on the output, and viola, instant pump.

I use a well cleaned plastic gallon milk jug. (because I have yet to set up my auto-top off! :( ) I cut a notch at the top of the handle of the jug to allow for air to escape for fast filling. The notch also keeps the water from gulping when pouring it into the tank. Cheap, easy and works great!

I just lift 5 gallons at a time and pour slowly. If I did larger PWC's then I would definately usea pump.

Thanks for the advice. I used the 5-foot ladder method and siphoned the water. Worked really good just a little more work. I didn't disturb anything. I'm getting my first fish tommorow. I think a yellow tang or a naso tang if I can find one.

75 gallon. I plan on getting juvenile and trading in when they get bigger. How long does it take for a juvenile tang (1 inch) to become an adult. I know many variables determine this but what is a good estimate.

I use a well cleaned plastic gallon milk jug.
I do, too. I cut out the whole spout area, so I have about a 3 inch round opening at the top of the handle level.
Many probably think this inefficient, but I don't mind taking a while to do the water changes. I change 15 gallons in a 75 every other week .

Back
Top Bottom