Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-30-2012, 10:14 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Water changes

I have a 75g I'm turning into a reef tank. As of now I have two clowns, 3 green chromis, 2 engineer goby, a solaris wrasse, coral banded shrimp and an algae Blenny. I wasn't to avoid doing
10 g+ water changes. Do you think I could Get away with doing a 5 gallon change every week? I'd rather do more changes with less water to deal with. Do you thinkh this would be enough?.... maybe too much? I'm really not sure but want to keep my water as clean as possible.

Any thoughts?

Old 08-30-2012, 10:55 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

i have a 55g and I do 2 5g water changes a week. All you can do is try and see how the tank does watching nitrates

Old 08-31-2012, 01:02 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by moo33284
I have a 75g I'm turning into a reef tank. As of now I have two clowns, 3 green chromis, 2 engineer goby, a solaris wrasse, coral banded shrimp and an algae Blenny. I wasn't to avoid doing
10 g+ water changes. Do you think I could Get away with doing a 5 gallon change every week? I'd rather do more changes with less water to deal with. Do you thinkh this would be enough?.... maybe too much? I'm really not sure but want to keep my water as clean as possible.

Any thoughts?
You want to do a 75g reef but arent willing to do 10g pwc's? Im not saying this to be harsh but to try and help, if you want to do a reef tank, you need to be 100% committed to it. What would you do if you get it all setup and then find out 5g water changes arent enough?
huma-huma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 01:08 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by huma-huma

You want to do a 75g reef but arent willing to do 10g pwc's? Im not saying this to be harsh but to try and help, if you want to do a reef tank, you need to be 100% committed to it. What would you do if you get it all setup and then find out 5g water changes arent enough?
+1 you really do have to understand to get the most from your reef then you work for it not the other way around. Be ready to dedicate atleast a hour a day to some type of maintenance or something related to your tank
Old 08-31-2012, 01:09 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

No what I'm saying is can I do 5g water changes twice a week instead of one ten gallon once a week... which would end up being more work anyway but I'd rather do more water changes with a smaller amount if water. I want to know what would be more beneficial. To do smaller changes but more often...or one larger one. Not trying to get around anything. Trying to figure out what would be the best for the tank. Especially since I have filter feeders like my flame scallop.
Old 08-31-2012, 01:10 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Trust me I put more than an hour a day into the tank...I rhino you just misunderstood the question.
Old 08-31-2012, 01:11 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ok well with that said smaller and more often is better but 5 g at a time might not be enough depending on Bioload or filtration system.
Old 08-31-2012, 01:12 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

What I'm trying to get out of this is to know if taking to much out at over would be detrimental to any filter feeders and stuff like that. Or would a ten gallon change not effect it so much?
Old 08-31-2012, 01:16 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

A 10 gallon shouldnt effect your filter feeders at all in that size system I don't have problems doing that size changes in my 46 with 20 sump/fuge. Are you running a refugium?
Old 08-31-2012, 01:17 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

Okay thanks. I'm honestly willing to do a 5g change every few days if necessary to keep everything happy. I just don't think taking ten plus gallons out at a time is a better way to go, but I really don't know. I don't want to take more beneficial bacteria/established water out than needed...but don't really know the chemistry behind it all. I guess that's the info I'm really looking for.

Tags
water changes

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com