Water changes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chrayis

Aquarium Advice Regular
Is it better to do a larger water change, 50-75% of the tanks volume at one time or to do several 10-20% changes every day/every other day to get the tank back to where it needs to be ?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Smaller water changes throughout the week, less stress for the fish. Unless it's an absolute emergency

The problem with smaller changes is in the law of diminishing returns. 3 20% changes would not remove the same amount of ammonia, trites, and trates as one 60% change due to dilution. Unless the tank is out of sorts with high trates and a changed pH from tap I see no issue with one large change as by volume you are removing more contaminants.

My nitrates are higher then I like them. Nothing dangerous. Just didn't know which way I should go about fixing it. I will do a few smaller changes for a few days and see if that gets me where I need to be.

I've been bad with keeping up with the tank, Sniper. Real life/work got in the way the last couple of weeks and I haven't been able to give it the time it needs.

I would suggest bi weekly PWC`s. It`s enough for replenishing trace elements and also diluting excessive nutrients. It`s what I do.

I do a small weekly water change works for me

Sent from my ls990 using Tapatalk

I do twice a year water changes. I dose Vodka, and dose the elements my tank needs, when it needs it.
I have prestine water conditions. I keep Phosphate and Nitrates where I want to keep them.

I do twice a year water changes. I dose Vodka, and dose the elements my tank needs, when it needs it.
I have prestine water conditions. I keep Phosphate and Nitrates where I want to keep them.

You are doing everything right

Back
Top Bottom