Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-08-2005, 10:05 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Ximat
Water Changes

As I said in a previous post Im pretty new to SW keeping. My next question is regarding water changes. I have a 75 gallon tank that is now 6 weeks old. I've done one water change, but at that time I only had damsels in there. Now that I have no damsels and 1 goby and 1 firefish I want to know what a proper method of water change is.

How do you prepare your water and such? What routine do you do?

I've been told I should do 10gallons of water per change, so I was thinking of preping two 5 gal buckets a day in advance, and putting a powerhead in the bucket to stir up the water to make sure my SG is proper. Is this a good technique? Also I was thinking of doing water changes on the 1st and 15th of the month. those are paydays so i can get new filters

Input?

Old 02-08-2005, 10:53 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Water changes should be done on a regular basis. Try 1ogal every two to three weeks. I just fill up a rubbermaid tub with the SW I mixed. Put in a heater, a powerhead and an airstone. I just let it set for 24-48hrs (or until I get around to doing a water change). That is about it. Just make sure you are doing occasional top-offs with FW to make up for evaporation. Are you using tap water or RO/DI water?

Old 02-08-2005, 11:05 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Tap water. RO/DI is out of my league right now. I have topped off a couple times with FW to keep the salinity right.

What purpose does the airstone serve in your tub? I understand the powerhead for circulation.
Old 02-08-2005, 02:22 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to frogiii
Do not use Tapwater to do a water change. Tap water has ammonia and your tank still be high with ammonia now. If you can't get a ro water buy yourself with r/o filter machine.(you'll need them if you want to keep your tank) And do your water change every 2weeks about 10gal is fine. I need to know what you have in your tank?? lr? ls? any coral??
Old 02-08-2005, 02:52 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Some lfs let you get RO water for free to bring in customers. Check lfs around your area.
Old 02-08-2005, 03:17 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Some lfs let you get RO water for free to bring in customers. Check lfs around your area
That is a great point. If they do not give it to you, I am sure they would sell it. Most LFS will sell anything to make a buck.
Old 02-08-2005, 04:22 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

as for livestock, all i have is whats on my sig 15lbs Live Rock, 1 Goby, 1 Firefish.

As for tapwater i've run several amonia checks on my tap water and its allways been 0.

I do daily checks on my tank and its at 0.

as for LFS no dice on the RO/DI from them, anywhere else I may find some?
Old 02-08-2005, 05:08 PM   #8
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ximat
As for tapwater i've run several amonia checks on my tap water and its allways been 0.

I do daily checks on my tank and its at 0.
But it does contain, chlorine, chloramines, possible flourines and a host of metal contaminates. An RO/DI is highly recommended. If it's not in the budget right now I would suggest saving for one. In the meantime try looking around as others have suggested as well as the local grocers.

If nothing else, make sure your tap water is treated with a water conditioner before using it in the aquarium. I highly recommend Prime by Seachem but be sure whatever you choose, it is not an aloe based product.

Cheers
Steve
Old 02-08-2005, 05:12 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to xahx
agreed Ro/DI is a must, the chlorinated and polluted tap water is yucky...
I bought the RO system from costco for $170

You can tell the water quality is MUCH better than tap just from the TASTE!!!! if it is that noticeable to me, imagine what a difference it is for the fishies!
Old 02-08-2005, 05:29 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Here is a tip on making WC water. It's easier to add fresh water to lower the salinty than to add salt to raise salinity.
When I make saltwater I always add less freshwater in the start. After 24-48hr I check the salinity and It's usually around 1.030-.035(little high). Much easier and faster to add freshwater to drive the salinity down vs. adding salt to raise it because it takes time for the salt to disolve. And it's hard to measure how much salt you need just to bring up the salinty a little bit.

klam is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water changes

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com