Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 03-30-2004, 07:24 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist
Water changes and new LR

[ reposted from CoralForum.com ]

Hi --

I've got a 55gal tank with a couple of damsels that's been cycled for 8 months or so. I've just placed my order with Liverocks.com (thanks again Zack for 70# worth. I have an empty 30 gal tank that I'm going to put the extisting fish in temporarily, while curing/cycling the new LR in the main display tank.

Regarding water changes, how often, and how much? From what I've read/heard, 50% every day (or every other day) seems to commonplace, but that still seems quite pretty brutal to me, and so I'd like a sanity check.

Also, should I take this opportunity while the main tank is broken down to really scrub through the substrate (crushed coral/shell)? Once I put the LR on top, I don't see ever cleaning underneath it ever again.

EBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2004, 07:40 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Here is an article from this site. I used it and it worked great for me.

tmcpeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2004, 07:52 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus
I recommend as much water changes every other day as your wallet can afford, Ideally, I would go with 50% every other day, but on larger systems that can add up. One thing to keep in mind, LR.com LR tends not to have much die off or much of a cycle, another option you might do is measure the ammonia and nitrite an when either rise above .1 ppm, do a 25 or 50% waterchange

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2004, 08:03 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist
Very kewl -- thanks for the assist, Kevin.
EBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2004, 06:46 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via AIM to WarOrks15 Send a message via MSN to WarOrks15
well i just finished cycling my liverock.com rock in one week. i did 2 water changes for about the fist 2-4 days to make sure the ammonia did not get too high and then did 1 water change every days for the next 3 days to keep the no2 and no3 down. it was a 10 gal tank and i would change about 5 gal in every water change. i also did jot have a skimmer on the tank so at first i had to try to get all the doc off the top of the water.
A 46 gal bow front (Soft coral) reef tank with a 10 gal sump. And a 30 gal (SPS and Clam) reef tank hooked up to the sump of the 46 so they share water.
WarOrks15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2004, 12:07 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak
why not put the lr in a smaller container so your water changes are smaller and your fish don't get as stressed? when the readings in the container are 0, put the lr in...

srgetz is offline   Reply With Quote

water changes

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com