Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-23-2014, 04:49 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Water changes during cycle

How often should you do water changes during your cycle??? If so how much??

Old 04-23-2014, 04:53 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

Dependant on your water parameters wether it's fish less or fish in etc, buy yourself a test kit then you can change your water according to that lots of ammonia present = bigger water change

Old 04-23-2014, 05:01 AM   #3

Yea I just started up 2 weeks ago. 50 gal and about 35 lbs of live rock. I just added raw shrimp to give a ammonia source. I have a kit. Ammonia has started to spike up as well as nitrite and nitrates. So as I continue my cycle I would like to know about water changes
Old 04-23-2014, 05:04 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

What are your readings? With a fish less cycle it's not as important to do water changes because there's no chance of killing fish however you don't want to let your ammonia etc get to high as it will kill your beneficial bacteria
Old 04-23-2014, 05:20 AM   #5

What's the highest you want to let your ammonia to go??
Old 04-23-2014, 05:24 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

It depends how many fish your wanting to add having a higher level will allow you to add more
Fish once the cycle is complete however letting it
Go to high will crash the cycle, I recommend keeping it between 2ppm and 4ppm keeping to the lower Side of that
Old 04-23-2014, 11:23 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ammonia isn't an issue. The bacteria live off ammonia and levels even as high as 8ppm won't cause them any harm. But the target ammonia level is at least 4 ppm. Well above the lethal level for any fish or most cuc. The issue, and again, it's not terribly critical is the nitrate waste that may exceed 100 ppm.
So normally no water changes during the cycle as it just dilutes the ammonia your trying to elevate. BIG water change after the cycle is done. Keep your lights off during the cycle as well to keep algae from growing.
Old 04-24-2014, 01:06 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingy View Post
Ammonia isn't an issue. The bacteria live off ammonia and levels even as high as 8ppm won't cause them any harm. But the target ammonia level is at least 4 ppm. Well above the lethal level for any fish or most cuc. The issue, and again, it's not terribly critical is the nitrate waste that may exceed 100 ppm.
So normally no water changes during the cycle as it just dilutes the ammonia your trying to elevate. BIG water change after the cycle is done. Keep your lights off during the cycle as well to keep algae from growing.
No water changes during a fishless cycle, and definitely leave the lights off..... After the tank has cycled, do a full water change, & you're ready to go.

Tags
ate, change, cycle, water, water change, water changes

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com