Water changes during cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dosxxpapi

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
How often should you do water changes during your cycle??? If so how much??

Dependant on your water parameters wether it's fish less or fish in etc, buy yourself a test kit then you can change your water according to that lots of ammonia present = bigger water change

Yea I just started up 2 weeks ago. 50 gal and about 35 lbs of live rock. I just added raw shrimp to give a ammonia source. I have a kit. Ammonia has started to spike up as well as nitrite and nitrates. So as I continue my cycle I would like to know about water changes

What are your readings? With a fish less cycle it's not as important to do water changes because there's no chance of killing fish however you don't want to let your ammonia etc get to high as it will kill your beneficial bacteria

It depends how many fish your wanting to add having a higher level will allow you to add more
Fish once the cycle is complete however letting it
Go to high will crash the cycle, I recommend keeping it between 2ppm and 4ppm keeping to the lower Side of that

Ammonia isn't an issue. The bacteria live off ammonia and levels even as high as 8ppm won't cause them any harm. But the target ammonia level is at least 4 ppm. Well above the lethal level for any fish or most cuc. The issue, and again, it's not terribly critical is the nitrate waste that may exceed 100 ppm.
So normally no water changes during the cycle as it just dilutes the ammonia your trying to elevate. BIG water change after the cycle is done. Keep your lights off during the cycle as well to keep algae from growing.

Ammonia isn't an issue. The bacteria live off ammonia and levels even as high as 8ppm won't cause them any harm. But the target ammonia level is at least 4 ppm. Well above the lethal level for any fish or most cuc. The issue, and again, it's not terribly critical is the nitrate waste that may exceed 100 ppm.
So normally no water changes during the cycle as it just dilutes the ammonia your trying to elevate. BIG water change after the cycle is done. Keep your lights off during the cycle as well to keep algae from growing.

(y) No water changes during a fishless cycle, and definitely leave the lights off..... After the tank has cycled, do a full water change, & you're ready to go.

Back
Top Bottom