Water changes in "bigger" tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Breakthecycle2

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So, for those with "big" tanks, how often do you do water changes?I recently just set up my first big tank. It has a total system volume of around 120 gallons. I am still doing weekly to bi-weekly in my 40. It's my understanding that bigger tanks don't require maintenance water changes?

The bigger tanks need a water change just as much as a smaller tank. :) You still have to export nutrients out and thats the best and easiest way.

I do my changes with garbage cans of saltwater and a mag7 pump. I just pump out the water and then throw the pump in the can and run it to the tank. Alot also depends on how you feed and overall how you keep your tank, if you have alot of excess nutrients then you will have to do large frequent changes. If you dont overfeed and keep things clean you can slack a bit on the water changes but you cant just not do them. :)

I will just throw this in since I get mail from BRS few days ago & it's good info

I have a 120 dt and 35 sump. I do water changes once a week, usually on weekend. I test every wed and if levels are off I do another change. I use my return pump to remove water from system and another to pump from trash can to dt.

What should the weekly water change be? Gallon wise?

Depends on your system... if you've got a properly stocked tank with a quality skimmer & well established refugium keeping your excess bad nutrients in check, then you're more doing water changes for good nutrient replenishment than waste export. At that point, 10% weekly should be fine, which in your case would be 12 gallons.
If you're overfeeding a heavily stocked tank, then you're going to require much larger changes more often...... Testing your system is the best way to determine what you need to do.

I do 15-20% bi-weekly. My trates have settled in between 15-20. I have a 125 with a 55g refugium. So total volume is 155ish. I also have to point put that im currently fowlr. When i get the led lights in and go coral, ill prob switch to 10-15% weekly.

Small changes weekly is best, rather than larger ones. This prevents shock IMO, which is important when talking about sensitive inverts, corals, or fish. If I spend 100 on a fish, I'd be pissed if I shocked it.

Back
Top Bottom