Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-03-2004, 01:25 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Water changes in QT tank

I have a 20 G QT tank running with a sponge filter and HOB filter (carbon, filter pad, no biowheel though I could add one). I cycled it for a month with a chunk of LR, and it did go through the cycle (I tested every few days and did water changes. It was a pampered rock.) After my nitrites were 0 for a week, added two percs (or false percs. See thread about black clownfish. ) Anyway, my ammonia is running about .25 and I'm getting unreadable results from my nitrite test (Salifert test ordered and on the way). I've been changing 15% every/every other day. Fish appear fine.

My question is this--the water changes seem to stress the fish out--they get all bottle-rockety in the tank for about an hour afterwards and seem quite anxious. I know .25 ammonia isn't too bad, but I want to keep their water as optimal as possible. On the other hand (wait, that's on the third hand), if they're stressing out, that's not so good either. So what should I be using as a threshold for a water change?

Euroreef ES5-3
2x Maxijet powerheads
Mag drive 9 return
Coralife 4x65 Lunar Aqualight
120 lbs rock from liverocks.com
1 peppermint shrimp and 1 fire shrimp (very shy)
2 black Ocellaris, Squish and Smudge
3 chromis, too identical to name as yet, in QT
10-gallon tropical
29-gallon with two goldies, Carrot and Orangehead
blorkiemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2004, 01:49 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
Basiacally what ever it takes to keep the ammonia down. The will "kinda" get used to the water change. My Heni's are so used to it they follow my hand all around the tank while I'm doing one.
I would do a change every day until the ammonia levels out to near 0. It should after a week or so. Also make sure you siphon out any uneaten food. That is a big contributor of ammonia in a qt setting.

Old 09-03-2004, 01:55 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks, Quarryshark, that's what I've been doing so I'll just keep it up. I've seen some posts that seem to suggest waiting until the ammonia gets closer to 1, so I thought maybe I'd better ask. You are so right about the food--even though I'm feeding just a tiny bit, the bare bottom really shows how much goes uneaten.
Euroreef ES5-3
2x Maxijet powerheads
Mag drive 9 return
Coralife 4x65 Lunar Aqualight
120 lbs rock from liverocks.com
1 peppermint shrimp and 1 fire shrimp (very shy)
2 black Ocellaris, Squish and Smudge
3 chromis, too identical to name as yet, in QT
10-gallon tropical
29-gallon with two goldies, Carrot and Orangehead
blorkiemom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
qt tank, tan, water changes

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com