Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-22-2011, 10:07 AM   #31
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

It's kinda impossible to have 0 nitrates unless you have some macro algae in the system. Are you testing with test strips or a liquid test like API test tube kit? There has got to be nitrates in there, lol.

I would consider yourself lucky if you havent had any issues thus far but I would urge you to reconsider no water changes. it WILL eventually catch up with you.

If you have corals are you dosing anything? cause thats how the corals get their trace elements from your salt mix or chemicals.

Old 11-22-2011, 10:23 AM   #32

There are all sorts of things that build up in the water that must be removed. What test kit are you using?
Corals and fish give off chemicals that other corals and fish don't do well with, like toxins and growth inhibiting hormones.

Bacteria not being in the water has nothing to with water changes.

Yes, do 10% water changes weekly.

Old 11-22-2011, 10:24 AM   #33
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I might not have 0 nitrates but I'm using the API kit and it looks like 0 maybe .25. About two weeks ago I had the water tested at my LFS. Everything came back good just the calcium was low at like 380ppm. I've since raised it to around 460. I have fed the corals with Marine snow (Maybe) I don't remember what the chemical is and I'm not home currently to check. I also add calcium and other chemicals pending what's low or high.

I run a protein skimmer, filter, 35 lbs LR, chemi-pure, etc. It's a t5 light with moon LEDs. I have xenia, frogspawn, clowns, dottieback, serpent star, mushrooms, green brain, polyps, cleaning crew, and some smaller frags.
I change my filter about every 2 months and I always put in the new one for a week prior to removing the old one. I use Tap water to top off that's treated with Prime. My tap water is good according to the test tube, just has extra chlorine in it but I make sure to let it sit out and treat it for a week or so prior to using it.
Old 11-22-2011, 10:25 AM   #34

Live rock removes nitrate, so it is very possible to have 0 nitrate without macroalgae. In my system the chaeto wouldn't grow because it had nothing to work with (because of the live rock).

I do agree that the test may be inaccurate though, although it is possible it is unlikely with the stated lack of water changes.
Old 11-22-2011, 10:26 AM   #35

Nitrate doesn't go from 0 to 0.25, it goes from 0 to 5. Test nitrate again tonight and let us know.

Some of those corals (especially the Xenia) help clean the water, so that may be helping too.
Old 11-22-2011, 10:38 AM   #36

Okay I can test it again tonight, the Xenia isn't large but there are probably 5 or 6 small ones around the tank, I've used them for frags primarily.
Old 11-22-2011, 07:25 PM   #37

Results are PH 8.3, Ammonia 0, NItrite 0, Nitrates is either 0 or 5, Calcium 480ppm. Is there another test I should buy/run?

Tags
water changes

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com