Water changes needed or not?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bloomk

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok, I am stumped.. If my water parameters are next to perfect (0 amonia, 0 nitrites, 0 nitrates) then how often do I need water changes? I test the water and it kinda amazes me that the water is doing so well.. But I do have alot of live rock... Anyways, how often should I water change if all looks well?

I do a 30% every sunday! My water is perfect too, but you have to make a routine of it or els you will slack off and never do it! (i learned this the hard way)
Some people get away with twice a month, but its not worth the risk!

The number and volume of PWC's is different for every tank. It all depends on the bioload you have. Some people need to do say weekly 30% PWC's while others with a smaller bioload can get away with 20% every other week (just example numbers). Water changes also do more than keep your nitrates in check, they replenish the trace elements that your reef needs to thrive. Again, this is dependant on your tanks inhabitants. A tank loaded with sps corals needs much more calcium and other trace elements than say a tank with a few mushrooms and softies. Figure out what you plan to have in your tank, test the water and make a PWC schedule that works for what you have.

The number and volume of PWC's is different for every tank. It all depends on the bioload you have. Some people need to do say weekly 30% PWC's while others with a smaller bioload can get away with 20% every other week (just example numbers). Water changes also do more than keep your nitrates in check, they replenish the trace elements that your reef needs to thrive. Again, this is dependant on your tanks inhabitants. A tank loaded with sps corals needs much more calcium and other trace elements than say a tank with a few mushrooms and softies. Figure out what you plan to have in your tank, test the water and make a PWC schedule that works for what you have.

+1 Pretty much what I would have said! LOL

All depends on the tank and its creatures and the water quality. I wouldnt go too long between changes though as you want the trace elements to be at an acceptable level always. I have rotated my water change schedule based on how the tank is doing and how the water parameters look. Even with 0 nitrates I still do water changes, but a little less frequently.

Nu-Nu the eel said:
I do a 30% every sunday! My water is perfect too, but you have to make a routine of it or els you will slack off and never do it! (i learned this the hard way)
Some people get away with twice a month, but its not worth the risk!

That's pretty much my routine also. Sunday is water change day, laundry and house cleaning. I feel like Mr. Mom!! :)

Convict2161 said:
That's pretty much my routine also. Sunday is water change day, laundry and house cleaning. I feel like Mr. Mom!! :)

Hahaha ya sunday is "clean the fish tank" day.. I dread sundays.. Jk :)

Sticking to a minimum routine will help prevent problems. No matter how immaculate the numbers read you have to prevent, not treat. This routine is what will keep the numbers perfect.

Don't try to do it all in one day. I have a 30 reef and a 40 fresh. Saturday I replace the sponge in my overflow, change out the sock for the sump, clean the skimmer cup and the inside of the tank. On Sunday, all I have to do is the WC. Of course I spend some time checking my replacement water's SG to make sure it's correct since I make 20 gallon batches which typically last me a month.

My tank is a 90 gallon. It is about 2 months old, done cycling. I have 5 shrimp, 8 small crabs, 5-7 snails, 2 small clown ls, 2 fire fish and a small angel.

Doing water changes replenishes the used trace elements needed for your corals to grow. Most people don't have the means to test/dose all the replaced nutrients that a 10-20% PWC will do. Water changes are a great time to remove detrius and leftover food.

Water changes are more beneficial than what is measured in these test kits. :) Are they required? Not entirely, I've read about tanks in other forums reaching 40 years old with 5 water changes a year, but I would never reccommend that to anyone.

Also, yes 10% water changes per week is great. Use that water change wisely and remove what detrius you can.

Bloom, do you have any corals? If no, do you plan to get any corals?

nf37 said:
Bloom, do you have any corals? If no, do you plan to get any corals?

I do not have any corals and I don't plan on any for a while.. I don't even have enough light for them and the power usage and expense of the lights makes me wonder if I even want them.. :)

BallinCrew10 said:
You'll want them lol. Maybe not right now, but you'll want them haha.

+1 you'll be like... Maybe just a few shrooms... Oh those are easy lemme try some zoas... Oo nice colors how bout just one more... A Duncan.... Oh this isn't so bad.... I'll try my luck at Lps..... Oh so pretty.... I NEED sps....
:)

SwimsWithFish said:
+1 you'll be like... Maybe just a few shrooms... Oh those are easy lemme try some zoas... Oo nice colors how bout just one more... A Duncan.... Oh this isn't so bad.... I'll try my luck at Lps..... Oh so pretty.... I NEED sps....
:)

I don't even know what SPS or LPS or Zoas or any of that even is... Lol

Back
Top Bottom