Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-06-2008, 04:22 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Water changes while Cycling ??

Okay, tank has been up and running for about 3 weeks now. I have about 80lbs of LR that came from a mature tank. Nitrites 0, Amonia 0, PH approx 8.2-8.4. though nitrates have been steadily between 20 and 40 during the past weeks.

Now i've been told i have to wait until nitrates are basically 0 and to reduce nitrates i'm to conduct regular water changes.

So, should just wait it out and wait until they magically become zero or should i be conducting water changes to help this process. Thanks guys.

Old 10-06-2008, 04:29 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

It sounds to me like your cycle is complete. You want to see your NitrItes drop to 0 and your NitrAtes go up. That is when you do a PWC. You do the PWCs to reduce the NitrAtes in the system.

I think you are ready for a good sized PWC.

Ziggy953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 04:31 PM   #3
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nicewitit View Post
Now i've been told i have to wait until nitrates are basically 0 and to reduce nitrates i'm to conduct regular water changes.

Wait till ammonia and nitrites are 0 then do a PWC to lower the nitrates.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 04:32 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hmmm... several questions come to mind:

Did you see your ammonia and nitrites levels go up, and then come back down to zero? Are you using RO/DI water, or tap?

Since you're showing nitrates, I'm *assuming* that your ammonia/nitrites spiked and you're looking at the end of the cycle. But if your ammonia/nitrites did NOT ever go up, and you have nitrates in your source water to start with, then you may have not even started the cycle.

To answer your question though... the nitrates are not going to magically disappear right away and you'll have to do water changes to get those numbers down as low as possible. As the tank matures, and under the right conditions, denitrifiing bacteria will convert the nitrates to nitrogen gas... but you've got a while before that happens.
Old 10-06-2008, 04:46 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nicewitit View Post
Okay, tank has been up and running for about 3 weeks now. I have about 80lbs of LR that came from a mature tank. Nitrites 0, Amonia 0, PH approx 8.2-8.4.
I would say that since the rock he is using came from a mature tank that he may not have seen a spike at all in ammonia or nitrites. With NitrAtes steady at 20-40 I think his cycle is pretty much complete.
Ziggy953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 05:03 PM   #6

Nitrites and Amonia have never been past 0. I've never seen a "spike" since the LR was added and setup approx 2.5 weeks ago. In fact everything has been pretty much the same since i set it up 2.5 weeks ago. My only concern is the Nitrates being at about 20 to 40.

BTW, i'm using a RO/DI water system.

So with everything being pretty much constant over the past 2.5 weeks, would this be a good time to do a water change to try to bring nitrate levels down?

Thanks for the input.
Old 10-06-2008, 05:05 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

I agree with the advice given. You will need to do a pwc to remove the nitrates and continue to do them weekly or bi-weekly until the nitrates drop. Unless you have a hefty amount of macro algae in there to consume them, pwc's are your only option to bring them down.
Old 10-06-2008, 05:18 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluff View Post
I agree with the advice given. You will need to do a pwc to remove the nitrates and continue to do them weekly or bi-weekly until the nitrates drop. Unless you have a hefty amount of macro algae in there to consume them, pwc's are your only option to bring them down.

You know something, you made me think of something. Is it possible to place macro algae in a media container in my prism skimmer. There is a media basket though i was just wondering if this is possible. I mean it is a hang on skimmer and the media basket cannot hold more than, idunno, .5 littre for a 46gal bow. Thoughts????
Old 10-06-2008, 05:25 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

My concerns would be growth and getting enough light to the macros. Depending on the type of algae you choose, they can grow pretty fast and that doesn't really give them much space. Also, you would need a light over the media container 24/7. I don't have a sump or refugium so hopefully some others will chime in. These are just my thoughts. I think in such a small container, you'd be very limited.
Old 10-06-2008, 05:32 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluff View Post
My concerns would be growth and getting enough light to the macros. Depending on the type of algae you choose, they can grow pretty fast and that doesn't really give them much space. Also, you would need a light over the media container 24/7. I don't have a sump or refugium so hopefully some others will chime in. These are just my thoughts. I think in such a small container, you'd be very limited.

Yea i'd figure that. Thanks for the reply.

Tags
cycling, water changes

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com