Water chemistry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishymaster2468

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi I'm new to this forum. So I was wondering what would be a good ph level for a saltwater tank

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

My tanks always are between 7.8 and 8.4 depending on which tank. AS long as it's in that range BUT STABLE you will be fine.

Agree with Carey I test twice a week for ph and it never drops below 7.8 and I just add ph buffer to raise it to 8.3/4

Buffering for ph is a trap 9/10 times. It will naturally fluctuate throughout the day. It is most likely fine as long as there is proper oxygenation of the tank with use of powerheads.

I keep mine at 8.2. I used crushed coral and extra love rock to buffer my ph. It usually never goes down besides the small daily fluctuations

Sent from my SM-G900P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I keep mine at 8.2. I used crushed coral and extra love rock to buffer my ph. It usually never goes down besides the small daily fluctuations

Sent from my SM-G900P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Though important to have enough live rock and such in the tank to have enough area for the beneficial bacteria to grow, the concept of a buffer can be very misleading.
Will this stuff buffer ph? Yes.
The issue at hand is that for the ph to be buffered by things such as crushed coral it has to go down to unrealistic levels in saltwater. It is either 5 or 6, I don't remember exactly which it is off the top of my head this early in the am.

If you have a refugium with lights that go on when the dt lights go off does this maintain a steady ph level?

Back
Top Bottom