Water Clarity - very fine particles ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jddias67

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Greetings - I added app 130lbs of lr to my new 120 gal tank about 5 days ago.
I am running 2 Backpack skimmers and a Fluval 404 canister. I am also running 2 small powerheads to circulate water. My problem that my water clarity is pretty good however there is a constant "haze." When I look closely I can see a constant motion of VERY fine particles. I assume this is just debris settling from the rock, however it doesn't seem to be improving. I am considering adding a Magnum HOT filter w/micron cartridge to clear this up. Any thoughts on this issue?
Thanks - john

Its probably particles suspended from the LR, I would bet it will settle over time or running micron cartridge will clear it up sooner. The only other problem I might suspect is a bacterial bloom with the addition of so much LR at once.

run a poly filter in the conister. that is what i do when the water look like it has tons of really fine particles in it.

I decided to get the Magnum HOT filter. I am planning to install it tonight. We shall see, (hopefully see clearly!) if it works. -- john

I have a micon bag that I use on the drain line in the sump. I don't use it much since I don't wan't to catch any pods though :)

I added the Marineland HOT canister and no matter how I adjusted it; it continually produced a great deal of microbubbles. I was very frustarted so I removed it. I still have pretty cloudy water and I am unsure why. I am running 2 CPR back packs and a Fluval 404. I suppose this just may be some "new tank" syndrome as I added so much rock and it has only been a week and a half.

it took my tank almost the full cycle period to clear up...u will really notice your tank clearing up alot when the cycle is complete...i would give it another week or 2 before i went out and spent money on filtration

I came across a 3rd Back Pack on sale, so I am adding a 3rd skimmer. I will give it some more time and see.

I agree with giving it some time. Mine just magically cleared up a couple weeks after cycle. I was getting a bit worried then poof! Do not know exactly what changed :?

that is exactly how mine went...i think the build up of bacteria in your rock and sand helps clear the water ALOT

that is exactly how mine went...i think the build up of bacteria in your rock and sand helps clear the water ALOT

Back
Top Bottom