Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-20-2004, 01:41 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Water Clarity - very fine particles ?

Greetings - I added app 130lbs of lr to my new 120 gal tank about 5 days ago.
I am running 2 Backpack skimmers and a Fluval 404 canister. I am also running 2 small powerheads to circulate water. My problem that my water clarity is pretty good however there is a constant "haze." When I look closely I can see a constant motion of VERY fine particles. I assume this is just debris settling from the rock, however it doesn't seem to be improving. I am considering adding a Magnum HOT filter w/micron cartridge to clear this up. Any thoughts on this issue?
Thanks - john

Old 07-20-2004, 01:51 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via ICQ to jackdp
Its probably particles suspended from the LR, I would bet it will settle over time or running micron cartridge will clear it up sooner. The only other problem I might suspect is a bacterial bloom with the addition of so much LR at once.

Old 07-20-2004, 02:46 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to WarOrks15 Send a message via MSN to WarOrks15
run a poly filter in the conister. that is what i do when the water look like it has tons of really fine particles in it.
Old 07-20-2004, 06:18 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to dustybrannum Send a message via MSN to dustybrannum Send a message via Yahoo to dustybrannum
I used cheese cloth in my sump to catch all of my small particles, plus some Activated carbon helped a great deal.
Old 07-21-2004, 11:36 AM   #5

I decided to get the Magnum HOT filter. I am planning to install it tonight. We shall see, (hopefully see clearly!) if it works. -- john
Old 07-21-2004, 01:38 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

I have a micon bag that I use on the drain line in the sump. I don't use it much since I don't wan't to catch any pods though
Old 07-25-2004, 12:57 PM   #7

I added the Marineland HOT canister and no matter how I adjusted it; it continually produced a great deal of microbubbles. I was very frustarted so I removed it. I still have pretty cloudy water and I am unsure why. I am running 2 CPR back packs and a Fluval 404. I suppose this just may be some "new tank" syndrome as I added so much rock and it has only been a week and a half.
Old 07-26-2004, 01:45 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

it took my tank almost the full cycle period to clear up...u will really notice your tank clearing up alot when the cycle is complete...i would give it another week or 2 before i went out and spent money on filtration

30lbs base rock
6lbs Brazilian LR
35lbs sand (20lbs of lfs ls i think it cycled my tank faster)

3 blueleg hermits
4 turbo snails
royal gramma
gold stripped maroon clown
crage34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004, 02:55 PM   #9

I came across a 3rd Back Pack on sale, so I am adding a 3rd skimmer. I will give it some more time and see.
Old 07-26-2004, 06:02 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

I agree with giving it some time. Mine just magically cleared up a couple weeks after cycle. I was getting a bit worried then poof! Do not know exactly what changed

Tags
clarity

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com