water cloudy AGAIN!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sansouci01

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I just set up my tank on Saturday. It took about 6 or 7 hours for the water to clear up. I was surprised because from what I have read, you can expect 24 or so hours before the water clears. But, on Monday the water was cloudy again. It looks like a fine powder suspended in the water. It's now Wednesday and still cloudy. Will this clear up or did I do something wrong...

At this stage this is the only thing that should be causing cloudiness. Try adding some filter floss to your filtration, this will help clear it up if this is that case.

How do you have your pump positioned in your tank

Pump is about 5 inches down pointing straight out. I have a marineland 100 hob filter and skimmer which is not running yet

Well it will remove bacteria and waste from your tank so maybe leave the skimmer until the tank is cycled.

If it were me I would let nature do its thing for a few weeks. The cycle is one of the most boring parts but sometimes exiting as it goes you time to think about where you're going with your tank. The boring part is looking at an empty tank thinking 'hmm what can I do with it'.

Thanks for the info. Got home from work today and added some floss in the filter. Seemed to be doing the job. Looking better already. Do you think the placement of the power heads are ok ? Also, the cycle is going good. Ammonia is up to 2ppm but no nitrites yet.

Attachments

• tank.jpg
    tank.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 92
Thanks for the info. Got home from work today and added some floss in the filter. Seemed to be doing the job. Looking better already. Do you think the placement of the power heads are ok ? Also, the cycle is going good. Ammonia is up to 2ppm but no nitrites yet.

Reach in and check for dead spots. Honestly that's probably the only way. I do like you LR layout.

I would put them at the upper rear corner facing forward and down and each other to disperse the current

Will starting my skimmer mess up my cycle

No, starting your skimmer will not mess up your cycle. If anything, I would suggest to use it now to break it in. Skimmers can take weeks to break in if new. I would start now so that it's ready by the time you can add livestock.

Back
Top Bottom