Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 08-09-2012, 09:13 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Elmo1287's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: kansas
Posts: 341
Theirs the colors I'm sure you know by now what color is what?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1433573314.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	147.8 KB
ID:	111592  
__________________

__________________
Elmo1287 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 07:29 AM   #22
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
YzfGraeme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 24
Yeah I am cycling the tank but with fish in what I don't agree with is that you have to do it without fish.... My ammonia and nitrates/nitrites are fine with the fish in, just do a 20% water change every two weeks and they never climb quickly... I do tests every day for the first 2 months when setting up and nothing ever goes abnormal, a fish less cycle takes so much longer and is pointless get some fish in there and just test and water change other wise you are wasting time and money on salt for a slow process and the fish don't get stressed as long as you keep onto of the paras
__________________

__________________
YzfGraeme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 09:12 AM   #23
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Elmo1287's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: kansas
Posts: 341
Yeah I've been waiting forever for fish but unfortunely it's two hours away and I work all night so by the time I get home I'm really not wantin to drive all that way
__________________
Elmo1287 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 10:21 AM   #24
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Schism's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Lima, Ohio
Posts: 2,093
Quote:
Originally Posted by YzfGraeme
Yeah I am cycling the tank but with fish in what I don't agree with is that you have to do it without fish.... My ammonia and nitrates/nitrites are fine with the fish in, just do a 20% water change every two weeks and they never climb quickly... I do tests every day for the first 2 months when setting up and nothing ever goes abnormal, a fish less cycle takes so much longer and is pointless get some fish in there and just test and water change other wise you are wasting time and money on salt for a slow process and the fish don't get stressed as long as you keep onto of the paras
Unsure why you believe a fish in cycle is faster. Also unsure why you believe fishless cycles are a waste of time and pointless. And i guarantee that with only 20% PWC during a fishin cycle that your fish are suffering whether you believe so or not, its called ammonia. And a 20% PWC every 2 is not going to detoxify ammonia pal. 1 ppm ammonia with a 20% water change means you reduced levels to .80 ppm, which is still very toxic.
__________________
29g Mixed Reef, 150w 14k Phoenix MH w/ Moonlights, Reef Octopus BH1000 HOB Skimmer, Ecotech Vortech MP10es, ReefKeeper Lite (Plus), PH Probe, Temp Probe, ATO, Carbon/GFO Reactor.
Schism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 10:33 AM   #25
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
YzfGraeme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schism

Unsure why you believe a fish in cycle is faster. Also unsure why you believe fishless cycles are a waste of time and pointless. And i guarantee that with only 20% PWC during a fishin cycle that your fish are suffering whether you believe so or not, its called ammonia. And a 20% PWC every 2 is not going to detoxify ammonia pal. 1 ppm ammonia with a 20% water change means you reduced levels to .80 ppm, which is still very toxic.
[mod edit] I keep my ammonia levels at 0 and when they get to 0.25 pwc and back down to 0 on the tests, look you can do what you want but I'm just saying how I do it, it works and I have set up 8 tanks like this over the years. It's advice forum and I'm giving my advice I what I have done over the years. [mod edit]its how I do it and I have never lost a fish! Maybe you just don't test your water properly and keep onto of stuff in a fish cycle, once you have done a fish less cycle then you add your fish the tank will cycle again so just go streight to the fish cycle simple.
So I will stick to that and you stick to what you want to do
__________________
YzfGraeme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 11:09 AM   #26
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
MrPillow's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Corpus Christ, TX
Posts: 396
An unorthodox approach compared to the general consensus of the forum, but I am sure we all wish you the best of luck either way

What are your observable nitrite and nitrate levels?
__________________
MrPillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 11:13 AM   #27
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
paytertot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: joplin missouri
Posts: 1,822
Quote:
Originally Posted by YzfGraeme
once you have done a fish less cycle then you add your fish the tank will cycle again so just go streight to the fish cycle simple.
So I will stick to that and you stick to what you want to do
Totally false, I'd like to know where you're getting your information, or if that's just what you think. I think you need to research it more.
__________________
"A fish with his mouth closed never gets caught" -mob quote
paytertot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 11:21 AM   #28
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Convict2161's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 14,818
Quote:
Originally Posted by paytertot

Totally false, I'd like to know where you're getting your information, or if that's just what you think. I think you need to research it more.
I'd have to agree here. Once your cycled your cycled. You add fish to your tank once it's properly cycled. Not sure where that poster read/heard that but it's not true.
__________________
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Convict2161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 11:36 AM   #29
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin
 
Sniperhank's Avatar



POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Summerville, Pennsylvania
Posts: 18,543
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmo1287 View Post
Theirs the colors I'm sure you know by now what color is what?
I'm not sure as to what those exact colors mean. Those looks like colors from a freshwater kit to me, but I could be wrong. Could you put the color card behind it for reference? I don't want to make an assumption and be wrong.
Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 06:43 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Ingy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Comox, BC, Canada
Posts: 1,837
Elmo.

As for your colours, from left to right it looks like it might be;
1 Idk. Something clear tho
2 amm around 4. Very good
3 nitrate 0. Not cycled at all yet
4 pH around 8ish. That's fine

So if I'm correct on my colours, you can tell better, you have a nice ammonia level to start the cycle, but it's not into the final stages yet. Stop testing daily as the kits cost money. Wait a week and check your nitrates then.

Good luck
__________________

__________________
Ingy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
cycle

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:55 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.