Water cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Elmo1287

Aquarium Advice Freak
Can I add a marine hermit crab to my tank durning a cycle? This tanks forever andy friend came over and seen a dead shrimp and thought I was already sucking it up blaghahahaha

No, inverts are basically more sensitive to parameters than fish. Hermits are more forgiving normally...but not worth wasting the time/money with having to do PWC during the cycle to keep it alive. That is funny about the shrimp thing though, lol. How is the cycle coming?

No livestock till after the cycle. Anything you would add now will be very stressful and will probably die. As stated inverts are more sensitive than fish. Your best off being patient;)

Schism said:
No livestock till after the cycle. Anything you would add now will be very stressful and will probably die. As stated inverts are more sensitive than fish. Your best off being patient;)

I always put fish in after two weeks and never had a problem, this is the first time I have done salt water and still put fish in after two weeks they are not stressed at all! But I would only put 2-3 in and then leave it for 3-4 weeks then add your crab and corals

YzfGraeme said:
I always put fish in after two weeks and never had a problem, this is the first time I have done salt water and still put fish in after two weeks they are not stressed at all! But I would only put 2-3 in and then leave it for 3-4 weeks then add your crab and corals

If you have ammonia and nitrite your fish are stressed, whether you believe so or not. Also nitrates rise rapidly during this time contributing even more to stress. Those three fish then add even more ammonia to the tank. Not a good practice.

Schism said:
If you have ammonia and nitrite your fish are stressed, whether you believe so or not. Also nitrates rise rapidly during this time contributing even more to stress. Those three fish then add even more ammonia to the tank. Not a good practice.

How did you start the cycle ? Add ammonia?

I have done amonea test on my tank everyday since adding the 3 fish in my tank over the last 2 weeks and it is still on 0.000

YzfGraeme said:
I have done amonea test on my tank everyday since adding the 3 fish in my tank over the last 2 weeks and it is still on 0.000

So your tank never cycled....

Why do you think it needs to cycle before you put fish in? Cycling is a myth there is no need I have never done it with any fish, pond, freshwater, saltwater and never had problems, as long as you look after the paras then it's no problem

YzfGraeme said:
Why do you think it needs to cycle before you put fish in? Cycling is a myth there is no need I have never done it with any fish, pond, freshwater, saltwater and never had problems, as long as you look after the paras then it's no problem

Looks like you have a lot to learn. Cycling a myth? Thats funny, considering its one of the most basic aquarium fundamentals there is next to water changes.

Ammonia kills fish and burns gills, its one of the most toxic substances in an aquarium while also stressing fish making them susceptible to disease and the like. Fish-in cycles can be done but more needs to be done besides testing, and even then your likely going to run into problems.

Im sure everyone agrees.

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2007-02/rhf/index.php

Schism said:
Looks like you have a lot to learn. Cycling a myth? Thats funny, considering its one of the most basic aquarium fundamentals there is next to water changes.

Ammonia kills fish and burns gills, its one of the most toxic substances in an aquarium while also stressing fish making them susceptible to disease and the like. Fish-in cycles can be done but more needs to be done besides testing, and even then your likely going to run into problems.

Im sure everyone agrees.

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2007-02/rhf/index.php

Can we see some pics of your " uncycled" saltwater tank?

YzfGraeme said:

I hate to break it to you, but either way you are cycling the tank. You're just doing it with fish in.

paytertot said:
I hate to break it to you, but either way you are cycling the tank. You're just doing it with fish in.

Excactly the second you add ammonia (fish) the cycle begins

Schism said:
Are you asking me or the guy claiming cycling is a myth?

The person claiming its a myth lol ive never heard of such a thing i think alot of people dont add fish at this point so as to not stress the fish and others maybe dont care about the fish

danbstrong said:
Excactly the second you add ammonia (fish) the cycle begins

Correct for a fish-in cycle. However fish in cycles require close water parameter attention and water changes. Without expect fish deaths, stress, burnt gills, and algae problems due to excess nutrients and the lights being on.

Well I have no fish just the dead shrimp and my ammonia was high but my nitrate was good my ph was high and my other one was off a little

Attachments

• image-483442976.jpg
    image-483442976.jpg
    153.6 KB · Views: 68
Elmo1287 said:
Well I have no fish just the dead shrimp and my ammonia was high but my nitrate was good my ph was high and my other one was off a little

What was you ph? High ammonia means you probably had a decent amount of die-off.

Elmo1287 said:

Thats a big shrimp what type was that?

It's bait shrimp I bought at my grocer store I figured I I chopped it in half I could use it as food for my fish when I get them or just the tails

Attachments

• image-1186749393.jpg
    image-1186749393.jpg
    160.4 KB · Views: 80
Back
Top Bottom