water evaporation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

konawings

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
it seems like my sw tank, 125g, is needing water about every 4 to 5 days. not much, maybe half a gallon, is this normal? i have no leaks and it is a brand new tank.

Only that much? If it's an open top tank I'd said that sounds like a dream!

Obviously be topping off with RO or RODI water

It does have a lid? Then that sounds fine.

RODI = Reverse Osmosis De-ionized

A small trick here on AA is if you hover your mouse over an acronym you don't know it usually shows up, try it on RODI, or PWC

I think the trend today is to have a open top to help in the removal and exchange of gasses produced and exchanged by your system,....that's why a " auto top off" ATO system is so important in today's salt water tank,....I think on a 125 gal tank with an open top you would probably lose maybe 5-6 gallons a week,...then of course your salinity would rise accordingly... With the ATO installed your water parameters would always stay the same and you don't have to do any work.
I just recently installed my ATO on my tank and I couldn't be any happier with it's performance .

Dary, that's a good post. Very goos information..

Im with Dary, I just ordered my ATO today so no more filling up the sump everyday.. If you didnt have a top on your tank you would be losing that much water every 8 hrs or so...

Shane.

Back
Top Bottom