Water first tank.... advice please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishlips12

Aquarium Advice Activist
I should be getting my 55g tank set up here for the first time, just awaiting the live rock and southdown. I am trying to cut costs as much as I can without jeopardizing the health of my system. I do not have a RO system yet . The LFS will sell premixed water for 99 cents on the gallon. Does this sound steep. I would hate to fork out roughly $60.00 on just water. I have not priced distilled water at the store but can I even use this? What would you do if you were in my situation?

go buy the distilled water for about 25 cents a gallon.. get about 55 gallon.. i'm sure with all the live rock and sand your tank is going to be less than 55 gallon, unless you have a sump.. anyway that is about 15 dollars... buy 50 gallon salt mix.. that's about 10-15 dollars.. you save 30!!! if you don't have a sump then i guarantee it that your tank will be less than 55g water wise...

oh yeah.. i had a 55gallon tank.. i bought a 50 gallon instant ocean salt mix... i had about 2-3 inches of sand... not much rocks.. and i still had some salt left over for next time... SAVES!!

Thanks for the response.Where were you able to get the water at .25/gal? Cool that you are here in San Jose. I just posted an ad in the classifed section of this forum for anyone that my want to buy some extra live rock that I will be getting in. Seeing as you are close you may want to take a look at it.

cool.. how much??.. i get them at like grocery store or pure waters store.. haven't had problems yet...

hey there fishlips.....ditto that price check on the live rock, i live close to both of you in the bay area. You can also get r/o water from those gallon water machines outside of places like longs or other drug stores.....you can get a 5 gallon jug and fill it there...i think its like 30 cents per gallon. :drinking:

Here was my post from the classified:

"I am ordering two 45 pound boxes of Fiji Live rock from liveaquaria.com. I need only 70 pounds and would like to sell the remaining 20 pounds. The price per 45 pound box is 109 plus the shipping per box($53.55) . So hmmm that would come to $72.25 for 20 pounds . I will order it monday of next week and it will get here on Thursday. It is cured but of course there will be the expected die off. Let me know if you are interested. I live in San Jose."

as for the water I checked with one of those water places which purify their water via RO. The guy told me that he would give me a discount on the water for 20 cents a gallong. Whooo hooo. So that is what I will do . I just need to find a reliable and inexpensive RO unit. ANy advice

I think a few people here use the Aqua FX brand...they are a site sponsor and i hear they are pretty good....

Back
Top Bottom