Water Flow

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

errdivideby0

Aquarium Advice Activist
So every place I read seems to tell me something different for what the water flow of my tank should be. I have a 75G tank that I want to set up as a reef and have been trying to figure out what my GPH water flow should be. From what I've been reading around 1700 GPH would be about right or should I go a little bit higher or lower.

1700GPH would be 22x turnover rate. Higher is acceptable and will in general be better. The goal is to get all the water around the rocks and trying to eliminate dead spots.

Also what would be the best way to position the powerheads. I've heard that having them at opposite ends of the tank pointing up towards the surface and having there flows form an X works rather well.

just got back from lfs and bought two koralia 4 for my 75g. Right now I have them at opposite ends of the tank pointing yowards the surface making an x. Will this work?

I have 2 Koralia 4's in my 72G and found that I had to move them around quite a bit until they quit blowing my sand all over. Just keep an eye on them with the substrate.

I have a #1 and a #4 in my tank lol. which mine is only a 55g. I had to (like mtlion said) move my #4 around some to find a good position for it. You should aim for a 20x turnover rate or greater. anything above 1800+gph would be great. however 2000+gph will be even better.

Thanks for that information. That makes me feel better getting the two fours. That gives me 2400 plus whatever little bit my protein skimmer and my filter give me

again in my opinion, if money isnt much of a factor spend an extra $100 on the new vortex coming out lol.

I wish that money wasn't an option but unfortunatly it is. I'm a student now and I may be leasing a new car soon. Otherwise i'd be all over it.

The main thing is make sure you have plenty chaotic flow. Yes the turnover rate is important but so is the type of flow.

lol i know the feeling. I am also a student however working 2 jobs makes money not so hard for me. But I see the vortex's out of my range also. I just spend about $300 today on tank things haha

I have a 120 with 37x turn over rate in just in-tank power heads...add the return pump and I'm over 40 times flow.

As Mike mentioned the idea is to have random flow. The ocean is random and that is what we want to try and copy in our tanks.

The Vortech is an AWESOME pump and worth every penny you spend on it.

I would say the X style is a good thing to go with. 1 pointing toward the substrate will simply make a sandstorm in your tank. Mine I have one on the right side facing the front left side hitting the front glass and one in the back left flowing right.

Back
Top Bottom