Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-12-2011, 03:12 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Water Flow Help

Hey guys,
I have a 29 gallon reef tank. I have a coralife cp750 (750gph) that is on the right, under the cpr. I also have an aquaclear 30 (175 gph) on the bottom right. and I also have a miscellaneous penguin on the left side of my tank. I drew out the flow of the water. I know having a blue tang in such a small tank, it is important that they receive a lot of water flow. She seems to love it, but I'm also wanting to redo my entire rock setup so I have more surface areas as I'm planning on adding much more corals. I'll be keeping mostly sps in my tank. Anyone have any success with certain placement for max propagation?

My lighting is a
24" Nova Extreme 4x24watt (5 Months Old 3/7/11)
T5HO 2-10k/2-460nm actinics
96w total wattage

Thanks guys!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Flow.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	204.5 KB
ID:	36911  

Old 05-12-2011, 03:30 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I think you have enough flow, do you notice any dead spots where things build up?

The bigger issue is that tang. The water flow will have absolutely nothing to do with keeping that fish healthy in such a small tank. For reference, tangs typically require a 6 foot long tank. Their thing isn't water flow but swimming room. I know he's really small now but honest to god truth, he shouldn't be in there. :-(

What else do you have in there? I see a clown I think....

I'm only speaking from experience with a 29g tank, I have 2 of them. I have a 55g that is also inappropriate for tangs and that tank is 4 feet long!

I do like how you have your rock setup, you have some nice open space in there.

Old 05-12-2011, 03:39 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

I have a 6 lined wrasse, a clarki, and the tang. She seemed in poor health when I bought her and she had discoloration for about 2 weeks but now she seems to be loving it. I've had her for about 2 months now. I know how big they get and I understand one day I'll have to part. The way my rocks setup now doesn't leave for much propagation of zoas or things like that because I have so much shade under the rocks. I don't want to have a shell of coloration and then nothing in the shade. I'd like to have a large thin clump instead of overhangs and caves. I'm looking forward to changing, I just wanted to know if I'm using too much or where to place them once I put them in there.
Old 05-12-2011, 03:42 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

For my zooa's I attach them to small rock rubble and place on my structure. You can put the little frags in the nooks and crannies of your rock. Mushrooms for instance need very little light so they can go wherever pretty much. I can't tell all the frags you have, pics too small.

I'm glad you know about the tang, i hate to rain on peoples parade. LOL But at least you brought her back to health and that's a good thing.
Old 05-12-2011, 03:57 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

You're probably gonna need to get 2 more bulbs to keep SPS anywhere besides the very top. Also more flow will probably be needed if this is going to be SPS dominated.

For positioning you'll want to go for a more chaotic flow, your's seems pretty circular from the picture.

As this has already been addressed I'll just give a bit more info. The tang needs swimming room, not necessarily about it's size in this case. Even a small tang could and will get stressed and possibly injured in a tank your size already. I suggest moving him out and getting something else, disaster can happen very fast
Old 05-12-2011, 04:02 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

I didn't mean SPS, I was reading something while I was typing. I meant mostly LPS! lol. I called up the LFS and they said they'd take the Blue Tang after they got rid of theirs. Aside from the Blue Tang, what is the best flow for LPS? Is circular okay?
Old 05-12-2011, 04:11 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Chaotic flow is what you want to aim for for any reef tank. I.e. I have an output and a powerhead on the back wall of my tank pointed forwards and inwards so they'll crash into each other and just be chaotic in pattern

With that new info besides powerhead placement your tank is just fine for LPS

Tags
flow, water flow

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com