Water For Saltwater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Diamonte

Aquarium Advice Activist
Im going to be setting up a 20 gallon saltwater tank with fish, invertebrates, and coral. I have been doing some research on what type of water to use. My tap water is very good and taste is good to..LOL
But some people say that tap water is good for saltwater tank and you have to use Ro Di Water.... Well I search what is is and Im not buying a Ro Di filter I dont have that type of money. Then people say that distilled water is ok..Is it? Then people say that purified water that you can get from walmart or somewhere in 5 gallon jugs is good. Well which is good for my saltwater? Since my tap water is good can I use it? Just add dechlorinator and let it sit then add salt?

The goal is 0 tds. The closest to 0 is the best. I use distilled water in my mixed reef, but I have algae issues and spend money trying to control it.
The use of tap water is more sketchy. Even testing fine and a product to remove chlorine won't address other nasties that can get in and cause issues that we don't normally test for, like copper, or other things we can't test for that can be detrimental to a reef environment. I only know of one reef that has used tap successfully and it isn't that old yet, still having the possibility of unknown parameters building up to detrimental levels.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

A fish only tank may get by on tap.
Maybe only for while until dissolved solids build up and then no good!
For any inverts or coral you are ro/di or distilled IMO.
The cost of this is so small in comparison to all else.
If you can not afford that then you will be mad about the money you wasted on dead stuff!
Spring water is usually worse then you tap but I can't speak for Indiana tap.

If this is your first marine tank just get good water(ro/di or distilled) and go fish until you have a stable tank.

I ran a FOWLR for years using Tap Water. You just end of getting some goofy sponge, and usually a bit more algae, of which you can get rid of the phosphate in the tank to combat that. But anyways, fish only, I'd not worry about RO water. There was nothing wrong with my tank, and I was using AZ water, which is horrible.

Yes RO/DI units are not cheap but you can find some under a $100. if you shop around
If you think the ro/di costs a lot are you sure you can afford a salt water tank , you must consider a good light . , sand , rock , salt , test kit , power heads ect , just keep in mind this is a hobby that keeps taking $ $

RO Buddie is fairly inexpensive and i use one for my 20 long. Does the job... if you are worried about spending under 100 on a RODI maybe consider freshwater, it is alot cheaper imo and you dont need to use RODI.

I work for a large water municipality and I suggest you dont use tap. There is alot of added compounds to make water clean and tasteless. That is good for us but not for our tanks. I have an article in the Sw articles section on tap water.

Back
Top Bottom