Water Level in sump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Butters

Aquarium Advice Regular
for some reason im paranoid that i will lose my syphon in my overflow box and my pump will make my tank over flow. what are the chances of this happening? also is there a way to make a backup place for the water from the sump to go if the syphon breaks? i was thinking along the lines of a higher leveled overflow box that would drain into an empty container

i have about 15 gallons of water in my sump atm...is that to much? if so what is a good level?

As I remember in chat, your using a CPR overflow. If you add a small maxijet power head and have the air intake on the pump hooked up, there is very little chance of losing your siphon, and if you do the pump will start it back up for you.

from my experiments with overflows and sumps, you should run your tank's water level low "enough" so that it can handle the ammount of water in your sump ... for me, this level was right level with the bottom of the plastic band surrounding the top of the tank .. with the overflow disrupted, the sump would fill the tank up to just under the plastic "lip" that is inside the band ... leaving at least another 1/4" before it actually overflowed onto the floor

also, my pump wont drain the sump completely either, as it's intank is about 1" above the bottom of the sump ... adjusting those two variables (tank's water level, and sump pump height) should help you avoid any overflow conditions!

HTH

reefrunner69 said:
As I remember in chat, your using a CPR overflow. If you add a small maxijet power head and have the air intake on the pump hooked up, there is very little chance of losing your siphon, and if you do the pump will start it back up for you.

lol sorry you completely lost me here. where should the jet be? in the overflow or blowing into it from inside the tank?

i was thinking of that gl but i cant get my overflow box to get down that far to get the water to the plastic band. the wing nuts dont have anything to hold on to that far down.

That would be way too far for my comfort and viewing experience, if I lowered my tanks water level down far enough to accept 10 more gallons of water :D

BTW, my overflow won't let it go down that far anyway..

Maxijet is a type of powerhead.

IMO the CPR overflows are not as attractive because they require a powerhead to keep the overflow free of excess air.

You could do as Gordon said but for us who run large sumps that requires the water to be very low in the tank. I have 25gal of water in my sump so having to run teh tank at 25gal below full would leave several inches of room.

lol sorry you completely lost me here. where should the jet be? in the overflow or blowing into it from inside the tank?

The airline from the pump would suck the trapped air out of the overflow ;)

Amiracle overflow box
Injection molded skimmer box, pre-filter, U-tube, and pre-filter sponge, eliminating the need to drill your aquarium and allowing for instant start-up.

Up to 600gph

this is what its called it isnt a cpr which i thought it was. using this with a sr2 skimmer in the sump along with my rio 2500 pump.

Back
Top Bottom