Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-30-2009, 12:35 PM   #11
HN1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Clearly the R6. lol

I don't think most would describe the cycling process as a "crash". Maybe just symantics.

Old 06-30-2009, 12:59 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via ICQ to R6Chick Send a message via AIM to R6Chick Send a message via MSN to R6Chick Send a message via Yahoo to R6Chick
Quote:
Originally Posted by HN1 View Post
Clearly the R6. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by HN1 View Post
I don't think most would describe the cycling process as a "crash". Maybe just symantics.
I agree that it is just semantics. Everyone has their own way of referring to things. When I cycled my tank I called it my little eco-disaster area. Essentially the tank does crash with the high spikes in the bad stuff that then over time the natural process does its own clean up to bring things in line.

Old 06-30-2009, 01:01 PM   #13

Send a message via ICQ to R6Chick Send a message via AIM to R6Chick Send a message via MSN to R6Chick Send a message via Yahoo to R6Chick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt_Nelson View Post
Wow. That's quite an opening sentence.

Just curious why you think the tank is doomed to crash. I really don't see any info here that would give anyone a clue as to the future of this tank. Did I miss something... ?
The individual is questioning what water to use on the initial fill of the tank. I was giving an alternative to purchasing water and using my tank as an example of how tap water can do just fine. Nobody is obligated to agree with me.
Old 06-30-2009, 01:08 PM   #14

well I just picked up three 5g water jugs and get them filled for 39 cents/g. It doesn't cost much to buy r/o water. I would like to get a r/o unit in the future but this works ok for now. I wouldn't recommend the hose or city water
Old 06-30-2009, 02:02 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by R6Chick View Post
What part of the screen name R6Chick makes you think I am a 'he'?
It's a mistype I meant it.............darn, I mistyped again
That's funny...........orry bout at
Old 06-30-2009, 04:35 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by R6Chick View Post
The individual is questioning what water to use on the initial fill of the tank. I was giving an alternative to purchasing water and using my tank as an example of how tap water can do just fine. Nobody is obligated to agree with me.
It's not that I was agreeing or disagreeing with you... I just couldn't figure out why you thought the person's tank was going to crash. Guess I was reading it as a fatalistic "your tank is doomed, so who cares what you do" type comment, and didn't think that was too fair to the original poster.

In my neck of the woods, a tank "crashing" implies there is livestock in it and all your parameters go to heck in a handbasket, killing everything off. I suppose the same thing happens during a cycle... guess it's a semantics thing.
Old 06-30-2009, 04:53 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thanks for the input everyone ... my LFS is only about 4 miles from my house so I think what I am gonna do is buy 3 or 4 'food grade' (I guess that would translate to very clean) 5-gallon buckets with lids and buy the pre-mixed saltwater from them. Will require a few back and forth trips for the initial fill.

I'll probably just continue to do this for future PWC's in the future.
Old 07-02-2009, 08:52 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Activist

My local LFS has recommended I buy 5-gallon buckets with lids and handles from Home Depot (clean and never used). So I'm gonna check today and if they have them in stock, my plan is to buy 3 or 4 buckets.

Aquarium is set on stand, everything is level, test filled and checked for leaks, background is painted a nice deep blue, trying to decide on best protein skimmer for 40-gallons (considering the Coralife unit rated at 65-gallons). Hoping to have mechanical filtration and water in the tank by Sunday.

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com