Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-29-2009, 10:55 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Water Options - Initial Tank Fill

Hello all - after considering various new systems for my start up FOWLER aquarium, I have settled on a 40-gallon glass tank. I haven't set anything up yet as I want to have a plan in place but my question today is about water.

I have obviously learned tap water in a no-no and where I live, city water is extremely high is phosphates so that could be a disastrous start.

So my LFS sells pre-mixed water so that is certainly a good option. But yesterday I noticed at another one of our LFS they sell boxes of pre-mixed salt water - I believe it was made by Oceanic. For the initial fill would this work and does anyone have experience with these premixed boxes?

Old 06-29-2009, 03:17 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

I used RO water for my initial fill, but I do have some boxes of the pre-mixed salt water on hand in case of emergency. I have used the water before without any problems, just make sure you check the salinity and PH of the water before adding to make sure it is ok. You will probably want to aerate the water for 24H also.

Old 06-29-2009, 04:32 PM   #3
HN1
Aquarium Advice Addict

IMO, the boxed water will be more expensive than the mixed water from your LFS and probably the same quality.
Old 06-29-2009, 04:59 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by HN1 View Post
IMO, the boxed water will be more expensive than the mixed water from your LFS and probably the same quality.
Probably so - just seems as though it would be easier to get a bunch of smaller pre-mixed boxes home versus 40 gallons from the LFS. I suppose folks use 5-gallon buckets with lids when retrieving water from the LFS?
Old 06-29-2009, 05:09 PM   #5
HN1
Aquarium Advice Addict

I originally used 4 5G gas cans before I bought an RO unit and large Brute can.
Old 06-30-2009, 01:50 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via ICQ to R6Chick Send a message via AIM to R6Chick Send a message via MSN to R6Chick Send a message via Yahoo to R6Chick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boulder View Post
Hello all - after considering various new systems for my start up FOWLER aquarium, I have settled on a 40-gallon glass tank. I haven't set anything up yet as I want to have a plan in place but my question today is about water.

I have obviously learned tap water in a no-no and where I live, city water is extremely high is phosphates so that could be a disastrous start.

So my LFS sells pre-mixed water so that is certainly a good option. But yesterday I noticed at another one of our LFS they sell boxes of pre-mixed salt water - I believe it was made by Oceanic. For the initial fill would this work and does anyone have experience with these premixed boxes?

The tank is gonna crash anyway. No reason to throw money around if you don't have to. I filled my 112 acrylic tank with uncured live rock and water straight from the garden hose, mixed in the salt as I went. I added the standard water conditioners, a couple of jumbo shrimp for good measure, and did not turn on the lights or protein skimmer.

The tank cycled in four weeks and had a mild algae bloom as expected. After the cycle completed I did a 50% water change now using RO/DI water and used a phosphate sponge. This removed all the phosphates in a couple days. Tank is doing amazing and the only thing keeping me from adding tons of stuff is my wallet.

In the end you have to do what you are most comfortable with.
Old 06-30-2009, 02:09 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by R6Chick View Post
The tank is gonna crash anyway....
Wow. That's quite an opening sentence.

Just curious why you think the tank is doomed to crash. I really don't see any info here that would give anyone a clue as to the future of this tank. Did I miss something... ?
Old 06-30-2009, 05:07 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm not sure myself unless he meant cycle?
Old 06-30-2009, 12:27 PM   #9

Send a message via ICQ to R6Chick Send a message via AIM to R6Chick Send a message via MSN to R6Chick Send a message via Yahoo to R6Chick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt_Nelson View Post
Wow. That's quite an opening sentence.

Just curious why you think the tank is doomed to crash. I really don't see any info here that would give anyone a clue as to the future of this tank. Did I miss something... ?
All tanks crash as part of the cycling process.
Old 06-30-2009, 12:28 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by thincat View Post
I'm not sure myself unless he meant cycle?

What part of the screen name R6Chick makes you think I am a 'he'?

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com