Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-30-2010, 05:37 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Regular

patience is your friend at this time, though your temp seems a little lowbut not bad.Temp should be near 79/80 at least with my personal experience.
But just keep testing when amonia and nitites 0 your should be cycled.

Old 11-30-2010, 05:51 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist

My LFS recommended 75, and I noticed that most fish sites recommend 72-78, so 75 is right in the middle.

I just ordered another 20 pounds of Premium Deco Gulf Live Rock, my guess is that it will cause my tank to cycle again/longer. Now I should have around 45 pounds, which should be enough.

Jared

Old 11-30-2010, 06:11 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Regular

it may cause another cycle but a very small one, prolly only a day at most but it will help your tank in the long run. I have learned\observed 1lb of rock for each gal. of tank is a good rule of thumb.
And ya 75 ok personal exp. has shown me near 80 not over that though make fish more active.
personally i have about 120lb of rock for my 90g reef w/fish but i have a fairly heavy bioload of fish and inverts
Scott
Old 11-30-2010, 06:26 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Activist

Out of curiosity I just checked my water again:

Nitrates are now somewhere between 40 and 80 ppm, and nitrites are around 10 ppm! Ammonia is still 3 ppm, it has been there for nearly a week. It is
amazing that anything is still alive in this tank.

Jared
Old 11-30-2010, 07:30 PM   #15
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

I too would suggest a higher temp. 75 degrees is for your cold water species like seahorses and some gobies. 78-80 is a good for a reef tank. The main thing when it comes to temps is stability.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 09:16 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

your tank in a cycle process....dont add anything and let it be like that...if u had anything food sources for bacteria like raw shrimp in your tank, u may now remove it...
Old 12-01-2010, 03:44 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Activist

Last night I picked up an API Master Saltwater test kit, and measured my water again this morning.

Ammonia 0.5 ppm (so ammonia has dropped from 3 to 0.5 ppm)
Nitrite 1.0 ppm (nitrite has dropped from 10 to 1 ppm)
Nitrate is either 10 or 15 ppm, I'm not quite sure. The test strip shows like 160 ppm!

I measured ammonia with my test strips also, and it has confirmed that it has dropped to 0.5 ppm. So it seems my tanks is on its way to being cycled. I still have 20 pounds of live rock on the way, it should be here either tomorrow, or Friday. My guess is that it will cause the cycle to start over, but I'm not certain. I also added a Hydro circulation pump/fan, it is rated at 750 GPH.

Jared
Old 12-04-2010, 06:43 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

make sure u have the cured LR...if not, u might having another mini cycle...since u dont have any LS, IMO its fine...make sure to monitor your water parameter....
Old 12-04-2010, 08:01 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

First off get a liquid test kit,strip test kits aren't the best to use,your tank could take at least another 1-2 weeks before totally cycled, be patient,we all know its hard and you just want to stock your tank but the wait is worth it in the long run.Once cycled DONT over stock straight away,eg 2 small unmessy eating fish clowns maybe,then maybe add 1 fish per month.You should be thinking about adding your cuc now as well,that'll give you something to watch.Just keep testing and dont add any more quick cycle junk.
You've been getting good advice here from people who have all been in your shoe's and are trying to stop you making any mistakes we may have made,Patience is the key.
good luck
David S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 10:01 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Freak

LOL Cmor...

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com