Water parameters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't think so, adding water wouldn't kill off nitrates at all, or ammonia or nitrites for that matter

Well if your 20 gallons was at 10ppm on nitrates and you added 1 gallon at 0ppm...1 out of 20 gallons is 5 percent. So since nitrates don't disappear, technically speaking your nitrates would only drop .5, correct? Making it 9.5ppm? Is my math wrong? I was never good at it.

They are correct here, nitrates don't disappear. That 1-2g top-off would just dilute a little bit, but you should still have nitrates. If you really had high ammonia levels, you should be reading levels of at least 20ppm for nitrates IME. Go have your LFS double check these readings to eliminate the possibility of a faulty test via either bad test solutions, or user error in the testing process. Even so, with just two weeks as I said in your other thread, you are probably not cycled. Cycles with fish tend to be longer due to the amount of water changes needed to keep parameters in safe ranges for fish.

Have you tested your kit against another(possibly lfs). Double checked testing instructions? Checked the date on your test kit?

Back
Top Bottom