Water parameters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BigEfromthe813

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've been cycling for 2 weeks and ammonia, nitrite and nitrate are all 0.. Where do I go from here??

well if you saw the typical spike of ammonia and nitrite then i would say your cycled and i would do a large water change and slowly add livestock

If there were nitrates, I would say yes, but due to the lack of them i'm thinking the tank isn't cycled at all.

How did you cycle?

Thanks hack-- yea I've been really high in ammonia a week or so ago then this past weekend my nitrite was REAL high.. Now all is 0.. I should do a water change? 25%? and when you say slowly add live stock, is that like one piece a week?

Unless you're growing some macroalgae like chaeto you're not cycled.

Like Flake said you would have some nitrates, they don't just disappear like that

what were you using as your ammonia source for the cycle?

so you used fish to cycle? you probably had no idea (neither did i when if i first started) but you could have done a fishless cycle by dropping a raw shrimp in there so none of your live stock would die during the cycle so they all made it?

since you already have livestock do a large water change and monitor the parameters for a couple weeks to see if you get anymore spikes

Actually one didn't make it so I replaced it because someone said the amount of ammonia should stay the same or something.. The guy at my first LFS suggested I buy the $6.99 chromis to cycle.. Go figure

So yea other than the little one everything has been good and my water hasn't looked better than it does now.. But I'll be keeping an eye on it

yea some local fish stores suggest you use fish to do a cycle so they have a sale its a common practice

are you sure your nitrates are 0? 2 weeks with fish in your tank pooping and eating ( i assume you fed them) you would have saw some type of spike in parameters did you ever have nitrate at all?

wait so you had nitrates before today and today they read 0? did you do any water changes or anything? i'm gonna go with flake they wouldnt just disappear to zero on their own

Taking the fish out would do nothing for your cycle but it would keep the fish from being stressed and dying.

It's kind of cruel to the fish.

Back
Top Bottom